approx £2200

to do:
ply line and carpet
t4srus trim kit
sliding door step
altro flooring
side bars
2.5'' exhaust
fit leisure battery and eberspacer (that i current got)
clutch as it some times slips
approx £1700

so total spend to bring my van to where it wants to be an approx £3900 :eek::eek::eek:
plus the £3100 i paid = jaw dropping £7000

wtf have I done. sorry kids it baked beans for Christmas lunch this year!!

I must say that there are some really good guys on this forum, especially Rake (ron) and Colese (Simon) who are both a fountain of knowledge and advise. They are both really genuine guys who are both really helpful and go the extra mile to help you out.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Your right.

I've been keeping a log of what I've brought for my van and added up my spends to date. I quickly deleted the total box from the excel spread sheet.

I also totted up what I've still got to do. It'll be beans for every meal here.. .

:eek:

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
I didn't even bother starting counting on this vanI:

Got a vague idea but it hurts to think about it:eek:

Mind you seeing some of the prices people are asking I'll still be quids in if I sell itLOL:

·
Premium Member
3,164 Posts
The price we have[or don't] to pay to get the Van looking and working as we want it to...I suppose it would be the same for any Vehicle..the difference being, most are quite old and need lots doing when we get them, and you can get so many more add-ons for T4/T5s...plus the Camping side of course.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Just dropped the coin on pop top:eek:fitting over or around the holiday season, no presents for me but the kids will still get sortedT:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Bought a 2.5 and had clutch, DMF, Cambelt and a few other bits in the first month of ownership, near on £1500.

And that was just the basics before any real work starts! This is the first van I am keeping tabs on financially and already it's surprising how much!

Interior has to come out and be rebuild, a little bit of bodywork, PP & remap before the summer.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Aye up. We're living in t' shoebox in t' middle o road. Have to get up at midnight an t' lick road clean with us tongues. So you reckon ya gottit bad....

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
All that matters , folks , is that yr on th road with a legal , driveable vehicle , that suits YOU ..!! Dont give in to peer pressure , etc ..!! Had mine since Jul. 1994 , only basic inteirior , no mods , including electrics , new panels , respray , but I,m proud to keep it as near factory as I can ..!! 231k on , original clutch , personally done 220 k in it , just do what you can/want .... use recycled stuff , if easier ..!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
in 8 years i have had...........

a new clutch at 142,000

new belts, w-pump, pulleys at 172,000

4 new tyres

a flexi brake pipe. (my fault)

2 sets of front pads and one set of rear.

front discs.

a sidelight bulb.

2 batteries.

the usual oil and filters.

as you can see these are all wear and tear items :) apart from the flexi pipe that i damaged.

i have not even changed the wiper blades yet LOL:

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've spent a fortune on different cars over the years and also spent a fortune (to me anyway) on my T4. But I've got to say I don't mind spending on the T4 cos its so much fun and I just love being in it T:

·
Registered
192 Posts
All that matters , folks , is that yr on th road with a legal , driveable vehicle , that suits YOU ..!! Dont give in to peer pressure , etc ..!! Had mine since Jul. 1994 , only basic inteirior , no mods , including electrics , new panels , respray , but I,m proud to keep it as near factory as I can ..!! 231k on , original clutch , personally done 220 k in it , just do what you can/want .... use recycled stuff , if easier ..!!
Couldn't agree more!

Here,here!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Mine is , and always has been , a daily driver .. its the only vehicle I have ..!! I cant see the point in modifying a vehicle that £££millions were spent on in development, to make it into something else ..!! Without the R/D brains behind it ..!! Wide Alloys , electrical mods , suspension mods , etc.etc. ..! All recipes for unreliability ,and issues on the forum ..!! And many with empty wallets ..!! I would like to see OEM spec.vans , which have been adapted to suit owners needs , without spending a fortune to keep up with the fortunate few who have deep wallets to make the rest of us feel inadequate ... !!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would like to see OEM spec.vans , which have been adapted to suit owners needs , without spending a fortune to keep up with the fortunate few who have deep wallets to make the rest of us feel inadequate ... !!
I never wanted make anyone feel inadequate! I wouldn't consider my self to have a deep endless wallet. Everything I've done to my van has been over the last year, and done bit by bit. I work hard sometimes make some overtime and spend this extra cash as i see fit.

Yes an OEM van looks and drives nice, but so will mine!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Someone on this forum said that you need to allow 6k for a T4, so if you buy one for 2k then you will end up spending 4k on it or if you buy one for 4k you will spend about 2k on it.

I think they were not far off...........

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Someone on this forum said that you need to allow 6k for a T4, so if you buy one for 2k then you will end up spending 4k on it or if you buy one for 4k you will spend about 2k on it.

I think they were not far off...........
That is pretty bang on!

·
Registered
515 Posts
to 'howtospendallyourmoneyt4forum'

on my last T4 a 1.9td I did the following:

new fuel pump with boost enrichment
intercooler
stainless exhaust
windows
rear seats
lowered
approx £1500

but that is nothing compared to my 2.5tdi
PP1 injectors
remap
intercooler
rear seats
sliding rear windows
T5 gp wheels and adapters
lowered
cruise control
approx £2200

to do:
ply line and carpet
t4srus trim kit
sliding door step
altro flooring
side bars
2.5'' exhaust
fit leisure battery and eberspacer (that i current got)
clutch as it some times slips
approx £1700

so total spend to bring my van to where it wants to be an approx £3900 :eek::eek::eek:
plus the £3100 i paid = jaw dropping £7000

wtf have I done. sorry kids it baked beans for Christmas lunch this year!!

I must say that there are some really good guys on this forum, especially Rake (ron) and Colese (Simon) who are both a fountain of knowledge and advise. They are both really genuine guys who are both really helpful and go the extra mile to help you out.

Thanks
Dave

you appear to be holding back mate,surely you could apply for another four credit cards and release your inner consumer I:

·
Registered
585 Posts
Apart from servicing items and mods my 91 2.4 T4 with 164k hasn't cost me a bean YET. I'll let you know when the pulley shreds (you can't buy them new) or the cam snaps lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mines cost me an absolute bomb.. lol. Probably won't ever sell it though now.. absolute sheds seem to be really expensive, i wouldn't want to buy again now tbhT:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts