VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now come stuck again, so after reading a few threads regarding fitting ply lining to the van, i've narrowed want i want to either of two things!

MVM plastic trim clips (Longer than standard ones) @ £4 for 10
or use rivnuts @ £3 ish from ebay for 50 & flat head bolts which i would have to source.

I will need around 70, so i can see it being a little pricey for what they are.
Is a standard rivit hand tool (one where you squeeze the handles together) the same as a rivnut tool???

·
Registered
981 Posts
I wouldn't rivet it. If you want to get the panel off you'll have to drill them out- then each back bit of the rivet will drop down into the insides of the van and rattle for ever and a day! What about self tapers , slit the carpet and you can stick it back over to hide the heads?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nick- Rivnuts are captive nuts you they're not like rivets..

I used MVM invisible clips... They are awesome!
What i aim to do is put ply to side of van using whatever the best method is!!!! then carpet over the top down the whole sides.
I prefer the look of this, rather than having each individual panel carpeted.
We will have no need to access the behind after, so this is why i think these options will be best.

Its just really down to cost & where i can get the tool and bits from.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
What i aim to do is put ply to side of van using whatever the best bethod is!!!! then carpet over the top down the whole sides.
We will have no need to access the behind after so this is why i think these options will be best.

Countersunk Self tappers it is then cheap as chips T:

RS do a cheap ish rivnut set ...

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I've now come stuck again, so after reading a few threads regarding fitting ply lining to the van, i've narrowed want i want to either of two things!

MVM plastic trim clips (Longer than standard ones) @ £4 for 10
or use rivnuts @ £3 ish from ebay for 50 & flat head bolts which i would have to source.

I will need around 70, so i can see it being a little pricey for what they are.
Is a standard rivit hand tool (one where you squeeze the handles together) the same as a rivnut tool???
You are better off using the longer clips plus it will take you an age to put all your rivnuts in and you will end up with lots of blisters from squeezing the rivnut tool:eek: I used black self tappers on mine, cheap way and you can hardly see themT:

·
Registered
178 Posts
What i aim to do is put ply to side of van using whatever the best method is!!!! then carpet over the top down the whole sides.
We will have no need to access the behind after, so this is why i think these options will be best.

Would you not need to access behind the panel if a brake or tail light bulb blows?

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I second the advice given to carpet the metal work in one go, and then fix the panels using MVM hidden clips. This works really well if you have a full complement of VW original internal panels. If you dont, then getting the holes in the right place may well be a pain. The darker the carpet, the easier it is to get away with black self tapping screws as they virtually dissappear in anthracite etc.
I would think the fitting of rivnuts was a totally unneccesary waste of time and money, and overkill for the job in question, but if you really want to I:.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Chris,

I had my van carpeted on Thursday by Andy and AJC conversions, he and Liam did a great job, unlike other traders who I've recently used from this forum, but we're not allowed to cities on here I believe. Anyway, they're a bit far from you, but they used the hidden clips and MVM stretch carpet. When my wife gets her a#$e out of bed and I'm not stuck with the kids I'll take a picture so you can see the finished result.

For anyone else who is near Manchester area, I can't recommend AjC enough. They sorted some shoddy work that had been done, id'd others that need sorting, which wouldn't have been obvious and worked hard and late to get the jobs done, never cut corners and provided a top class job. I did quite a bit of research to select who to use and all the other positive comment are true. I also got a one piece roof with led lights and no fixings showing, again a great job.

Photos coming later this morning.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chris,
Ajc used these clips:
http://www.megavanmats.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1875458
Not the 40p ones, you need 100.
Cheers Dave,
Im beginning to wish i shelled out to get it all done by someone else now... LOL:
I take it you put them through the holes of the ply, carpet the ply then just push the panel onto the van?:confused:

Thanks again for you drawing, ive managed to cut the drivers side & the little middle panels out, but the passenger side is slightly too short, so may have to do it in 2 halfs.
I also have to do something with my ply first though as it doesnt sit against the curveture of the van at the mo, so hopefully these clips wont pull out in the middle.

Fitting a split charger unit today, well trying to anyhow...... gaurentee ill find something else which needs to be done first before i can finish it off like most of my other jobs so far.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Chris,

They carpeted the panels, trimmed them and thenpoped the head of the clips in. The head is shaped to allow this.

AJC supplied the panel for me, they did warp slightly over the few weeks I had them but they fit perfect now and the clips seem a strong fix.

Your doing right fitting a split charge yourself, i trusted someone of this forum and I've had a lot of problems with most of what he did, although i havent tested the split charge yet.

Photos on next post, sorry about the light and quality of pix, as it using iphone.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts