VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What was it that was making it whine?
The whining was probably bits starting to fail/come loose etc. before they made a bid for freedom out of the casing:(
Was meaning to check gearbox oil level when noise started, but I suspect my laziness/poor timing meant that I didn't get round to it in time. Very expensive lesson learnt:eek:

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Yeah, I replaced mine whining wife with a second hand one a couple of years ago and now this one's starting to whine too!
On a more serious note, mine has just gone off on the back of a truck to get a new gearbox, cost will be about £1200 when alls said and done.
Is it really an Iveco box Zmok?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I thought the end cover over 5th gear was pressed steel on the Iveco 'box....

I'm sure my mate Gaz, who has an Iveco motorhome, put a taller fifth in his for better motorway comfort and it was a fifteen minute job...

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Now I am really confused, I thought the Iveco box with the removable end plate was Fiat? Or, do Fiat use an Iveco box as well. Do Iveco actually make anything? I thought they just made bitzas:confused:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Now I am really confused, I thought the Iveco box with the removable end plate was Fiat? Or, do Fiat use an Iveco box as well. Do Iveco actually make anything? I thought they just made bitzas:confused:
Hello Upspex,
Looking at the pics of the gearbox in question where exactly can you see a removable end plate????You lot have certainly confused me.:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
certainly no removable end plate on mine - it's one mahoosive casting with an equally mahoosive hole in it...

The casing is listed on ekta as a separate item, but i bet it's not cheap...

If IVECO make these boxes, was wondering if there's a route to getting cheaper replacements without the VW part number on....?I:

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I wasn't referring to the one in the pic. If you read the entire thread you will understand. Some do have a removable end plate others don't. I don't think Iveco actually make anything, they assemble vehicles from other makers components. Mostly Ford and Fiat I think.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
From what I have read on here the 88bhp uses a VW gearbox with the stamped end plate.
The Iveco gearbox is used on the 102bhp & more powerfull engines.
IVECO[the industrial vehicle corporation] was formed in 1975 by the union of Magirus Deutz,Unic,Fiat Trucks,OM & Lancia Special Vehicles.
Since they were formed from Fiat in part, they can produce vehicles with either brand name.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I've got a whining from the nearside of mine .............................. but it stops when the missus gets out :D.

Ahh the old ones are the best I:.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts