VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the new law thats being enforced on us I think we will need to either meet up out of the following area or make a stand.
http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/article/5901/Car-Cruising

I am NOT a boy racer !!
I don't play music loud or basey
I don't speed in a public place putting others at risk
Nor do I make a nuisanse with my vehicle.

I do however advertise meets with other like minded fellow VW members
I do enjoy our countryside following all rules layed down by the land
I do drive in a convoy to meetings that are family orientated

I AM NOW A POSSIBLE CRIMINAL !!!!!......:(

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Depends on definition of 'convoy' I guess. I guess driving there and home, if you go directly, is different to driving around in circles together.

Surely is unlikely to be enforced if you are meeting out in the sticks and not causing any disturbance to the public.

·
Beardy Bus Driver
1,416 Posts
I'm no lawyer but there definition of a cruise is:

Car cruising - the act of drivers meeting on the public highway on either an organised or impromptu basis to race or show off in their cars - is noisy, dangerous and illegal.
Therefore if your not meeting on the public highway, racing or showing off in your car. You're not breaking the injunction. T:

It would also be interesting to see if civil liberties were being infringed by this injunction.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ha! You lot have it too easy for too long.

Over here in Northern Ireland we have the Parades Commission.

So even events like charity tractor runs, (at speeds of up to 14mph!), need to seek prior permission.

·
HORACE
1,589 Posts
With the new law thats being enforced on us I think we will need to either meet up out of the following area or make a stand.
http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/article/5901/Car-Cruising

I am NOT a boy racer !!
I don't play music loud or basey
I don't speed in a public place putting others at risk
Nor do I make a nuisanse with my vehicle.

I do however advertise meets with other like minded fellow VW members
I do enjoy our countryside following all rules layed down by the land
I do drive in a convoy to meetings that are family orientated

I AM NOW A POSSIBLE CRIMINAL !!!!!......:(
Unfortunately some do all these things and more, its those knobs that ruin it for enthusiasts, theres always an idiot that will turn up at a meet, crank up his music, smoke something a bit suspect and race around (we all have someone like that don't we)
The public will be afraid and worry because of the boy racer events seen on tv, that always end in disaster and arrests.
The authorities have only acted out of necessity.
Ive been on cruises, like the T4 forum one in Beauliue a couple of years ago, it was about a mile long, we all behaved but you could see the look on peoples faces as they were stuck waiting for us and we were a very sensible bunch.
I used to go to a local meet on a Thursday in our local factory estate, this was open to all VAG and it did attract complete idiots that raced around, did burn outs and have load music playing, Im surprised the law never shut it down, it did have some true enthusiasts that enjoyed it and the usual knobs that ruined it.
Have you asked a local pub or business if you can have quiet meets? This will help you get round the law as its on private land.
Heres a copy of your link,

Car cruising injunction

A ground-breaking injunction has been secured in Wolverhampton, Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall, forbidding people from participating in a "car cruise" anywhere within the four boroughs, or to promote, organise or publicise any car cruising event within the same Black Country area.

Car Cruising Banned in the Black Country

Car Cruising Banned in the Black Country

Car cruising - the act of drivers meeting on the public highway on either an organised or impromptu basis to race or show off in their cars - is noisy, dangerous and illegal.

Gatherings have been known to attract up to 250 vehicles and spectators, with councils and West Midlands Police receiving hundreds of complaints over the last few years about vehicles and spectators obstructing highways or residential or business properties, dangerous driving, excessive noise, littering, verbal abuse, swearing and intimidation.

Anyone who witnesses a car cruise on the public highway or publically accessible place is asked to call police on 101.

Wolverhampton, Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall councils, working in partnership with West Midlands Police, secured the injunction from the High Court in Birmingham on 1 December, 2014.

Served against "persons unknown", it prohibits a number of activities typically associated with car cruising, including speeding, racing and driving in convoy, performing stunts, sounding horns or playing music as to cause a significant public nuisance, using foul or abusive language and threatening, intimidating behaviour and causing an obstruction on a public highway, whether moving or stationary.

It also prohibits a number of consequences associated with car cruising, including excessive noise, danger or risk of injury to road users and pedestrians, damage or risk of damage to property and significant risk of harm, public nuisance and annoyance to the public.

Anyone suspected of breaching the injunction will be at risk of being in contempt of court, for which an adult can face up to two years in prison and a fine. In addition, police retain their powers in relation to traffic offences including driving without insurance, driving an unroadworthy vehicle and driving without due care and attention.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts