VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only started looking a couple of weeks ago, really not the sort to spend months and months looking for something but I had quite a specific brief:

- 140ps+ (towing reasons)
- Air Con
- Tailgate

Electrics a bonus.

Very quickly whittled down which vans are worth viewing, and didn't find many at all.

I was put off by some older vans with 100k+ miles being £10k or more!

If I bought an older van I know I would end up spending money on face lift etc... So as a new buyer it made sense to look for a T5.1 facelift in the first place. This removes my worry on condition/miles and gives me the spec and look I want as a good base, make sense?

So today I viewed several vans, have fallen for a 2011 van with all the bells and whistles (factory colour code, electrics, air con, tailgate) 20k miles... £16k+VAT...

Seem expensive or about right for such a new van? I can easily afford it and intend to plough another 10-15k in on a full conversion, but also don't want to end up losing my shirt if I have to sell for some reason in a year or two...

thoughts appreciated before I decide in the morning? :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Have you driven it???

I was set on getting a 140 as I too love the new look front.
After the test drive I went straight back to the adds to look for a 2.5 older model.

Wasn't that impressed. It had plenty of go but just felt like loaded up would knock a big chunk out of the performance.

My T4 102 had more go.

My view now is, the front can be changed at a later date with not too much fuss but the engine needs to be right.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about mileage either, as long as the van has been well serviced... they're good for 300k+, there are shuttle buses used at airports and they NEVER stop, you'll see them for sale cheap with 200k @ 2yrs and they are still good for it!!T:

Not that i'm about to sell an 06 with 125kI:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have driven it, and thought it was an excellent drive to be honest, much better than expected.

I hav *not* driven an older van though, only newer ones.

If they were a lot cheaper then the higher miles wouldn't bother me, but when they seem to be within 4-5k of each other for a totally different age/mileage and spec it starts to make sense to buy the newer van and tick all the boxes?

Last thing I want to do is pay £12k for an older van, and then £2k bringing the front up to date and then I am within spitting distance of just buying the newer to start with...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I thought about secondhand vans in your price range and all things considered I went with new. To me it was the best answer. Spec to what you want and no worries about mileage or how the van has been looked after.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
I assume including the VAT for a 140ps with air con, tailgate, colour coded, eelctrics and comfort pack I am looking at £23-24k?

Got the price list up, does VW discount much on new?
We got a big chunk off ours. Pre,- reg but delivery miles. Worth looking at the used approved VW van list - that's how we found ours.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The reason I didnt go for a new van was I couldnt afford the 140, only the 102, I test drove it and just for me didnt feel right, so I turned my sights to a 130 model of which I was most impressed with.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I own a 140 and drove a 130 for 8 years to which I admit was fun but my 140 is smoother, better on fuel, better on tyres, faster now its done 5,000 .

Panel vans start around 15 plus vat pre reg'd

·
Registered
668 Posts
Nice find, the spec is what most people are looking for but I guess you have to spend the money to get everything you want.

I know that feeling, I narrowed myself down to about 2 vans in the whole country that had the specs I wanted, it soon becomes a sellers market when you are looking for specifics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts