VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have read through a lot of posts on this, so just wanted to check if my symptoms were the same... in which case I'll get digging out the main harness and checking for shorts, or whether these symptoms point to something different. I don't have a vagcom or access to any codes although the yellow glow plug light is flashing.

On a trip to Skye this weekend I noticed that the factory cruise control on my 2001 2.5TDI decided to stop playing, we pressed on and when we made it to our first stop after a solid 3 hours of driving the van wouldn't start again, we walked the dog and chilled and then eventually, maybe 1 1/2 hours the van started.

All good, so we pushed on, stayed in Skye last night and when we went to leave this morning the engine started but the minute I pressed the accelerator pedal there was an initial rev and then there was no response from the pedal and the van held a higher than normal ideal.

We ended up being recovered back home as the local mechanics couldn't find a fault through their handheld diagnostics and suggested it could take a few days to get fixed.

I've checked that the brake lights work, which they do and striped and cleaned both the brake switch sensor and the clutch switch sensor.

What I think is the TPS is attached to the pedal itself I couldn't see any 'obvious' faults with that.

The thing thats confusing me is that there is an initial reaction to the accelerator pedal and then nothing... I don't know if this helps to narrow down the fault.

Any advice welcome on what to check, how and which parts to replace... keen to resolve myself if possible.

Cheeeeeeeers

Scotty

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,878 Posts
Cruise control is switched off if there is a problem with the brake switch.
Switch has 2 sets of contacts, 1 normally open (operates the lights) and 1 normally closed (tells the ECU the brake is NOT pressed).

The "test" to see if you can retro fit cruise control is the rev the engine to 2000+ rpm, and touching the brakes should drop the revs to around 1000.

Sounds like what you are having.

Various other faults cause "limp mode"......you really should invest in VCDS (VagCom).....150 quid for the best tool you can have for a T4. (You'd save that on the 1st garage bill!)

When you stripped the brake switch, did you go through the correct procedure for setting it up again? (There's a thread somewhere about how to do it.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey OR_GazM, thanks for the reply.

I need to find the strip and assemble guide, as I didn't see that..

I checked the 2000+rpm and applying the brake didn't have any impact, so am I to assume the brake switch is faulty then?

Cheers

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts