VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...

Wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on this one. I have a 1996 1.9TD T4 and it has a throttle lever. I don't use it all that much but I have only had the van on the road for about 2 weeks. It has been off the road for around 3 years so I have been putting fuel aditivies in to the tank to clean it up. Each morning when I start it up it runs a little crappy for about 5 seconds and then runs fine afterwards. Not entirely sure why, anyway, if I pull the throttle out a little it seems to sort the problem. I can put it straight back in after the crappy start up. Today however I pulled it out a bit too far accidentally and I am struggling to get it back in. I thought I would maybe just pull it the rest of the way out to see if it would slide back in but this didn't help. It seems to go back in a tad bit but no further.

Has anyone got any suggestions? I will be honest, diesels are not my strongest point, but from what I can see the throttle cable connects to the pump and there is a little connection on the pump that is pulled by the throttle cable. My guess could be that or possibly a seized cable (if that is possible!)?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks! T:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
What you are , I think referring to , is the ..Cold Start Lever . which , if you like , is a kind of choke for Diesel (except its not a choke !!) All being equal , you should not need to use it , unless in the depths of winter . As above , restore the cable and lever to original , and then lubricate the cable , so it is useable when you need ... !!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What you are , I think referring to , is the ..Cold Start Lever . which , if you like , is a kind of choke for Diesel (except its not a choke !!) All being equal , you should not need to use it , unless in the depths of winter . As above , restore the cable and lever to original , and then lubricate the cable , so it is useable when you need ... !!
I believe you are right. I was told this earlier and I shouldn't need to use it. I will be getting it fixed later and not touching it again until I absolutely have to!

Thanks again T:

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
I believe you are right. I was told this earlier and I shouldn't need to use it. I will be getting it fixed later and not touching it again until I absolutely have to!

Thanks again T:
And as per usual the Grumpy one is not reading the manual.

You should always use the cold start, but in deep winter you do not use it UNTIL the engine has started.

But most people do not even know it is there or what it does.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
There is , actually , a difference in wording in our respective manuals , Nick ..!! However , had my van since July 94 , and I have never used the darn thing ..!! I can only speak of expiereince of doing 215k in my van ... its as near to factory as it gets , all main components are untouched , and it starts magnificently , whatever the weather ....

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Ha , Ha ... I know many of my responses are not always the same as others , but they are , simply based on what my van has tought me .. !! I bow to the great knowledge of many forum contributors , I have , fortunately , never had to mess too much , so I may be lucky ..!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
On the point that it wont go back in, In my experience it only wants to go back in
once the engine is warm. if pulled out it wont go back in straight away.

MIke

1 - 14 of 14 Posts