VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys sorry if this sounds a bit dumb but I'm pretty at building stuff and DIY ( I glossed our bathroom ceiling last week just to put into perspective how bad I am!)
Anyway, I want to have tie down mounts on the wall so I can secure bicycles to it, can I just screw them into the ply wood on the wall or will the ply wood break? If I can just screw them in what do I use and how big should they be? The walls are carpeted too.
Like I said I'm a bit rubbish at all this but want to give it a go!
Any advice would be great thanks!
Lee

·
Registered
596 Posts
what if you were to take the ply panels off, no nails (other products are available) some timber batton to the panel of the van where you want to fix the tie downs, put the ply back on then fix thru the ply into the batton ??

·
Registered
757 Posts
A lot of people use 4mm ply, but even 6mm won't give much strength for holding a bike, and the panel is only held on with plastic fitting most of the time anyway.

I would aim to attach fixings to the metal of the body in the middle of the sides (just below the window line), but it really depends on how your van is carpeted and where you have access to as to how you should do it. None of the upper body has that much strength, hnce the reason that VW only put load strapping points low down...

Regards,

AB.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice guys, how would I attach the block of wood behind the ply lining?
Im thinking I may have to look at getting someone who knows what they are doing to have a look or knowing my luck ill put a hole in the side of my van!

·
Registered
878 Posts
thanks for the advice guys, how would I attach the block of wood behind the ply lining?
Im thinking I may have to look at getting someone who knows what they are doing to have a look or knowing my luck ill put a hole in the side of my van!

There are no doubt a few ways to safely tackle this but it really does depend on your van and how its lined etc as well as exactly how you want the tie down mounts to work.

If you're just ply lined/carpeted and can easily take the panels off then you can stick the wooden blocks to the inside of the van panels using some strong adhesive like Sikaflex. This is used to 'glue' awning rials to the side of vans and they can take some strain on a windy day. Once it is stuck on, put the lining panels back on and then just screw your fixings into the block making sure any screws are not too long.

Even better, there are existing holes all over the inner metal framework of the van, particularly just under the window line. You could for example 'glue' a nut in place behind one, mark on the ply panel where the hole will be and bolt through that.

If you're not that sure though get someone to have a look. You don't want to cause bare metal that might rust or screw through your van panel. Look up if you've got any local forum groups or members you could ask. Treat them to a beer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you can remove the carpeted panels and gain access to the inner frame
You could use the rivet nuts from VW or google them 6 or 8mm close them using
Nut bolt and washer look at this link. Will help then you have a secure fixing
http://www.memfast.co.uk
I may have the correct part number for the VW ones as the holes drilled in the fram
Will be of the correct diameter
Davemud

1 - 7 of 7 Posts