VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deffo getting the 5th gear mod done to my van as im going to be driving on motorways a lot.

70mph is currently around the 3400 revs mark.

Read somewhere soneone got theres down to about 2800/2900 but they didnt mention what ration they used.

I have a 1.9td 52 plate

Where is the best place to get the kit from? Main stealers?
Whats the average price for the kit?
What ratio should I be looking out for?
Im going to get a garage to do it for me so what sort of time does the mod take?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
32:47 = 0.681 Part No. (02D 311 361 : 02D 311 158 ) T:

£205 from main dealers
Thanks for the response I was about to come on here and mention I need a part number as stealers refused to sell me or give me any info on it as its not a standard mod.

Will this part drop my revs down to 2800/900
and what car is the part from?

Any know roughly my ratio at the moment.

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to find out your gearbox code so we know which ratio you currently have by checking here: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34048 then you pick a ratio 2 or 3 higher and get the part number from here: http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34048
dont know if im just over tired but this confused me earlier. I have seen where the code should be from looking at this link and will have a look tomorrow if its dry.

Currently all i know is that i have a 52 plate T4 first reg in september 2002, RHD, 1.9TD ABL engine code. She revs at approx:
3400 at 70
3000 at 62 63 ish
2400 at 55
1900 at 40
and 1300 at 30

currently I never drive her sat above 3000 revs, the engine sounds horrible and the fuel dial drops!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
your box code is most likely a djz,

5th gear from a mk3 golf tdi will change your 70mph from 3400 to 3150 and can be sourced for next to nothing in a scrappy. ratio is 0.71 :1

the 5th that the main stealer will sell you on that part number is something like 0,68 :1 (an extra tooth than the golf one and wil drop your rpm at 70 to about 2900 but will cost you 200sheets.

im running the golf one in my tdi van (and had it fitted prior to conversion on my abl) personally i think the 0.68:1 gear ratio will be a tad too tall for a 1.9td abl engine, my two pence worth.

on the 0.71: :1 ratio gear my economy improved on the td engine but it struggled up the hills of the a361/a30 a bit more.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
your box code is most likely a djz,

5th gear from a mk3 golf tdi will change your 70mph from 3400 to 3150 and can be sourced for next to nothing in a scrappy. ratio is 0.71 :1

the 5th that the main stealer will sell you on that part number is something like 0,68 :1 (an extra tooth than the golf one and wil drop your rpm at 70 to about 2900 but will cost you 200sheets.

im running the golf one in my tdi van (and had it fitted prior to conversion on my abl) personally i think the 0.68:1 gear ratio will be a tad too tall for a 1.9td abl engine, my two pence worth.

on the 0.71: :1 ratio gear my economy improved on the td engine but it struggled up the hills of the a361/a30 a bit more.
This has been my thinking for a while. that a barely makes it many small hills in 5th atm, it then became a fight between economy on hill or motorways.

Im looking at the picture above and wondering if there is a 6th gear mod out there or am I just been teased.
is there a 6 gear gear box out there?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Whats the average price for this these days?
Anyone on here had it done?

That article was saying its approx £900 and will pay for itself after 90,000 miles. I like the idea though!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The converzion from 5 speed gearbox to 6 has never been so easy as
Eurotuning is offering. Different companies offer the conversion as well
but their offers are much more expensive. Around 350 cars have been
already converted to 6 speed gearbox.
Do they sell a refurbed gear box with the 6th gear if so this might be a new option for those needing a new gear box!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ron are your unning your T4 with this 6th gear?

You seem to know loads about it. I like the idea of the 6th gear more than the mod tho! just same its pricey!

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Ron are your unning your T4 with this 6th gear?

You seem to know loads about it. I like the idea of the 6th gear more than the mod tho! just same its pricey!
klingt wie unsere ron wird auf Provisionsbasis *<:)>

aload of my mates run the Quaife 6 speed upgrade in their O2A's & O2C's

·
Registered
583 Posts
Straight cut gears will mean you can't hear your noisy diesel engines!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts