VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've had the van a while, and I intend to use this thread to document the changes as it changes from a panel van into a camper

Here we go with an image of the start point.....

Fingers crossed this works! :gl If it does, there'll be more v. soon!

IMG_0861 v2 by markandkay, on Flickr

Mark

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As promised.....

Van off to the converters.

Initial plan is to slot some Vansport windows in and have it lined out with the 'first fix' electrics...

First things first, strip out the interior

IMG_0946 by markandkay, on Flickr

Then time to cut some chuffin' big holes :eek:

IMG_0948 by markandkay, on Flickr

Going to seal these gaps with Sikaflex, then carpet across and glue down on outside before bonding windows on. Thanks to Ed-j for the advice here!

IMG_0944 by markandkay, on Flickr

Carpet lining started, using recycled plastic bottles as insulation. Looks like candy floss but doesn't retain any moisture

IMG_0953 by markandkay, on Flickr

The carpet looks different shades here, but it is a trick of the light due to the halogens pointing in different directions. It's all being done from the one roll!

IMG_0954 by markandkay, on Flickr

More to come when the windows get fitted

Mark

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So then,

A bit more progress...

Well, the carpet didn't go on as well as expected. The carpet I'm using is slightly thicker than Megavanmats, so when it was adhered to the outside, it wanted to return to it's original position, so take two involved much more stretching of the carpet, almost to breaking point

IMG_6238.JPGa by markandkay, on Flickr

IMG_6237.JPGa by markandkay, on Flickr

Roof lining going back up

IMG_6235.JPGa by markandkay, on Flickr

IMG_6232.JPGa by markandkay, on Flickr

Completed window surround ready for window to be fitted next week.

IMG_6230.JPGa by markandkay, on Flickr

First newly trimmed panel fitted, going to get some darker screws to disguise them. Power tails are for light switches. Tailgate (and sliding door) away for paint as the guy who had it before me must have had stuff rolling round in the back as they were dinted and scraped. As they are not going to be carpeted, I wanted them to look tip top. First quote £1000 :eek:, second quote a much more respectable £250 (which also includes the mirror caps that look like they'd be done with a rattle can! :(

IMG_6229.JPGa by markandkay, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Coming along nice mate A:
Keep the pics coming T:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A bit more progress....

Headlining carpetted and all back in. Not sure if I like it, may change it for something a bit funkier further down the line
Ply lining also down ready for the flooring to be put down. Got them to put some Pioneer speakers in the roof at the same time to save me a job!

IMG_6255.JPGa.JPG by markandkay, on Flickr

They managed to get the floor down yesterday and start the wiring up process. So now it's time to get the furniture made up, hence the samples in the foreground! First things first though, the windows should be going in today, and the slider and tailgate should be coming back from the paintshop. May get the van back at the weekend dependent on the lead time for them to get the boards in.

Untitled by markandkay, on Flickr

Mark

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Windows are in! (Except for the slider!)

First one....

IMG_6264.JPGa.JPG by markandkay, on Flickr

Masking tape central!

IMG_6267.JPGa.JPG by markandkay, on Flickr

Internal finish

IMG_6275.JPGa.JPG by markandkay, on Flickr

Post surgery with the dressings removed.

IMG_6279.JPGa.JPG by markandkay, on Flickr

Definitely needs a wash and a whack with the lowering stick. Will see how it sits with the units in and the RIB bed in before determining how low to go

Doors back tomorrow hopefully, furniture board being ordered this afternoon, appliances today or tomorrow. It's all go!

Mark

·
Registered
606 Posts
You'll be surprised with the weight of the hatch back on, rib bed etc it'll soon settle down on the suspension

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
yep you have to make sure also your not over loaded..

When i go kite surfing or just take every thing I make sure I am not going to be over loaded.. by the time a top box goes on and all the other stuff it's supprising how quick it all mounts up and then my fat in the drivers seat it soon goes down I:

looking good I have been meaning to post up how I did mine I will try in the next few weeks for others to see I used Ikea units in the end as I had 3 days to do the whole van but ened up taking 6-7 over two shift patterns at the time.. next one will be made from scratch, units area great I have to say. But I have the skills to make them so I might as well do that..

·
Registered
162 Posts
That looks like a nice job there, keep up the good work. With the lining i recommend hi-flex as its very easy to manipulate, and would have gone round the window edges easy. Out of interest what cutting tool did you use for the windows? It seemed to make a nice cut...

Dan

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it was a nibbler they used to be honest. It did leave a very neat cut when I went and had a look

Mark

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, it's been a long time coming, but the convertors have the van again, and are cracking along nicely

Shows the gas locker alu lining

The seats are away with Chris at Trimming Tonic, and should be done in two weeks, the interior should be ready for next Friday, so finally... it's all coming together. Off early July for a week, so need to decide on the maiden voyage!

Will post more pics up as I get them

Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts