VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Time to put my T4 story in pics and words. A 1992 'velle 2.4D

103K views 207 replies 27 participants last post by  nicklouse 
#1 · (Edited)
i bought the Bus in 2004 and one of the first things I did was to remove the rear seats and fit a cargo shield and load anchor points and fit a tow bar. the reason to register it as a "Truck" in Sweden to reduce the road tax from about £900 about £300 a year.
So that is how it was for quite a few years.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

then one day I decide it is time to start doing stuff to it. so i ordered some H&R -40 springs and a 27mm spanner.
Well the morning that i decided to fit the springs i came out to the van and jumped in and heard a tinkle.

some low life had been after something.

you can see the screwdriver mark.

they also tried the side door glass.
they also really wanted to get in through the tailgate.

which as you can see was in a poor state.

so what to do?

well lets get the springs fitted and the front lowered.

I had also at some time fitted a side exit exhaust. and it is parked up against the wall as there is no rear glass.

what to do? on Monday down to the steel stockists and get the welder out.

and then away for a week of mountain biking.
a few weeks later

A replacement was found. newer version so new struts were needed.
then came a whole pile of mech stuff that was needed. new ball joints (4) new track arm on the rack. new discs pads drums and shoes. Oh also the head gasket went so head off and skimmed. but it went again so out it all comes and a replacement from the scrap yard was found. new water pump and belts and clutch were done as a matter of course.

then came the sounds. I do a lot of miles in one go in the bus, last trip was 1200KM in one go towing a race car. the kit involved 3 amps 3 pairs of speakers and a sub. lots of sound deadening and sound absorption fibre and lots of MDF.

this was back in 2009 and was not finished but both front sill sections were replaced.

rear speakers. the black boxes are removable/rotatable.

door speakers fitted to the 'velle door pockets.

dash speakers with cut out standard trim.

2 of the amps (rear speakers and Sub).

Oh that tailgate.

taken as it passes its MOT this year after 2 years in the garage and part way through some paint "work".

the reason for the sudden MOT was the job was gone but I had work in Germany. time to relocate.

anyway she was running like a bag of spanners so after getting here to Germany I booked her in for some work.
one rear wheel bearing, check the timing, do an oil change. but i was also concerned about the condition of the sump as i remembered that there was some "filler" on it and i had an oil leak. so while the van was up in the air i had a look and the "filler" was wet... new sump was ordered. also the poor running was worked out to two things. One the glow plug fuse had gone. (Yet the dash light still worked as normal) and two the plugs were shot. so they were done as well.
Runs sweet now.
before the window incident I had self tinted the windows but they had faded to almost clear. so they were ripped out. I have just had them redone as it helps hide the different glass colours.
The interior upper trim has also gone back in. just need to sort out the space between the MDF and the trim. I also found out that my Ikea leather sofa fits nicely on the wheel arch covers. ;)

Other work that needs to be done. front cross-member needs changing as it is very rusted. should be a nice weekend job. will be changing the lights at the same time.

Paint..... well it aint ever going to be a pretty Bus is it. so i am thinking something with a roller. maybe something with a sand blaster! and i am sure there will be a sticker attack somewhere.

Then i will have to see about getting it registered as a German bus again. It was imported to Sweden from Germany in '97.
shame that the rear seats had to be left in Sweden but no space for them.

updates will be following.

See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#2 ·
Oh I should add a tale about my last trip back to Sweden to collect the race car. As i pulled into the first ferry terminal (half way into a 1200KM drive) the gear shifter felt odd. Came to pull away and i was in 3rd gear! You know what happened? Yep that Knuckle joint on top of the box had split. What a bugger to fit. needed a 6ft crow bar to get the ball to pop in. done in a dealers car park with borrowed tools. which lead to a missed ferry and a long drive towing. the race car. Some of the hills on the motorway needed 2nd gear.... there is no way that i could have managed without fixing it. Fun.

#3 ·
Well 800km to do tomorrow. Fully loaded. Then over the weekend find some auto accessory shops as the ones out here suck.
Anyone know of any T4 spots near Ledbury?

Now the temp gauge works it gets me nervous as I am not sure what it should run at. Before if I wanted to know how much fuel I had left I would hit the dash. As I am passing through France I must see about these breathalyser you are meant to have.

#6 ·
I was contemplating projector, but how much money would you have to spend to get one that gives a good picture? Seems there're some half decent second hand ones on ebay, but bulbs can be costly to replace.
On top of that, they'd draw quite a bit of power so only be of real use when on hook-up.

Look up Kogan tv's. Cheapest by far for all the features and have mostly decent reviews.

#8 ·
Well that was Easter done in the UK. the fuel guage reads differently when loaded and unloaded. refilling on the side of a Germany Motorway. FUN.

Did not get to look at any TV mounts. too busy building treahouses and sorting out storage in the garage. But did get to use the speakers in Party mode. Yes the rears are rotatable and removable. Water level light was on this morning... not checked the level but as the Fuel guage was fluctuating i guess the solder has gone again. or the regulator has gone....
Been into the local OBI (B&Q) looking at what the Germans may call Flashing tape and other insulation products. this might take some time....

now to see if the localish T4 place does English!

#13 · (Edited)
Been collecting stuff this week. Some Dichtungsband and some audio sound deadening panels, gas, wire and regulators for my mig as the new mounts for the seats will be now welded to the bases. Also just incase it is needed for the front crossmember replacement. Going to be a busy weekend.

Looking through lots of these threads has got me thinking about changeing the dash colour but I am not sure. Need to fix the armature for the centre part as that is in not a happy state.

#18 · (Edited)
Today parts ordered.
A few more headliner clips.
New heater switch as th one I blagged was as good as my knackered one.
Also a new gen fuel filler flap. Only a couple of euro more than EBay.

Also picked up a reversing camera and a roll of under laminated insulation. Going on the roof.

Been looking at some of the RnR beds on here.. Some are very clever.

Need to sort out my mains electric. Not as easy getting a kit out here. Or I just don't know where to look.

Good to have the welder up and running, might get the sidebars sorted.

#23 ·
yes very,

well today a few parts arrived at the dealers.

went to a few scrapyards pout here and guess what. no T4s at all. unbelievable.

lots of work was done but no pics.

van now insulated on the roof. wired for picture and sound to the rear. cables run for two more rear speakers,

headlining painted and upper trim painted and all refitted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.