VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I've been on the forum for a while, I don't own a van myself, I have owned other vw's over the years mainly Mk2 golfs.

Anyway, a friend asked if I'd be able to do the timing belt on his 2007 1.9 tdi T4, ABL engine I believe? . I said sure, having done countless vw timing belts before.

I have run into a bit of a problem. Got the thing stripped down no problem, locking tool in the back of the cam, 7mm drill bit in the injection pump pulley etc....

So, I'm fitting the new belt and notice that it doesn't fit the cam sprocket properly, in that the teeth on the belt don't match up perfectly with the teeth on the pulley. So I figured the motor factor have sent me the wrong belt. I have another kit sent out, and another and another. The issue seems to be that all the belts I'm being supplied have round teeth on them, but the pulleys on the engine all have what I believe are called trapezoidal shaped teeth. I've tried gates, dayco, INA and even a genuine vw belt. None of which seem to fit exactly how I would expect. See image of new belt and old belt below.

So, my questions are, has anyone else had this issue before? Was there a recall done on the T4's at all to have the pulleys on the engine changed to round teeth pulleys? I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't the correct engine for the vehicle? It's been swapped at some point? I've even tried belts from old diesel audis, passat, Mk2 golf, jetta etc.... To no avail.

VW are next to useless when it comes to help or information. Any light you guys can shed on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
That 9 digit number is the part number, wonder if it's worth cross checking with the 7zap (elsawin) website?

I've done many belts too on VW's, never had one that far out!

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That 9 digit number is the part number, wonder if it's worth cross checking with the 7zap (elsawin) website?

I've done many belts too on VW's, never had one that far out!

Good luck.
OK, thanks for the response, will look into the 7zap website....
I too have done many belts and never come across this

·
Registered
84 Posts
The old belt is the bottom picture, and the new belt is the top picture. There's nothing OK about the top picture.
I was looking at the fit into the sprockets, I see now that the pitch looks wrong - almost like the belt has shrunk?

Could it just be it needs tensioning? I can't believe that all those belts are wrong and your van is different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at the fit into the sprockets, I see now that the pitch looks wrong - almost like the belt has shrunk?

Could it just be it needs tensioning? I can't believe that all those belts are wrong and your van is different.
Yes, and the teeth on the new belts are definetly round, not the same shape as the teeth on the sprockets. I'll try and take a decent photo of the sprocket to show the shape of the teeth

·
Registered
540 Posts
One thing i have noticed and its probably a typo is the "2007 t4", im pretty confident that you cannot get a 2007 t4 with 2003 being the end of the line so are you getting a t4 pump belt when you need one for a t5.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts