VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I know I'm raising an old topic here but I'm just wondering if this was ever sorted? I'm doing mine again after Xmas and was just reading through some old threads.

·
Registered
1 Posts
An old post, but got an AJT with the same problem

Belt about 2mm off, been rubbing against cover

Anyone found the cause or a solution?

:)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I had the same problem as this with mine, not the last belt change but the one before so, Just over 4 years ago. I took it back to the garage that did the job after I discovered it and they said it was ok, Couldn't have it any other way. Had the belt done again (different garage) last year and the belt runs fine on the sprockets now so no idea what caused it. Both times the crank sprocket was removed to replace crank seal.

I suspect mine wasn't as bad as the original poster's belt here is/was because mine had the belt covers fitted.

If the centre crankshaft bolt is torqued up correctly surely the sprocket would be on the end of the crank as far as it will go seated properly ? I'm thinking it must be another component forcing the belt off the sprockets, Tensioner or water pump.

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,979 Posts
OR....it wasn't OEM tensioners/pulleys/pump fitted!!!
OEM cost a little more...but have a 3-4 year warranty on them.
Only needs a fraction of a degree out on a cheap bearing to throw everything out of line!
Oh...and a belt that "falls off or wears out" can be VERY expensive!

·
Registered
544 Posts
In my case all the parts were genuine VW which annoyed me somewhat. Never did find out what caused it on mine but it's not like it now and the current parts are INA. Very odd.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts