VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1997 T4 2.5 has a strange problem:

I was away for two weeks of summer holidays and when I got back, she wouldn't start. The car was otherwise running fine before it was parked.
My ear told me there was a electrical problem, so I replaced the plugs, rotor and distributor cap, as I felt it was time for this.
When I tried to start the car again, it nearly started but was 'misfiring' so I figure the timing was off.
I got the car to start by adjusting the distributor. The very strange thing is that I had to turn it nearly a quarter turn to get the car running smoothly. I cannot believe that the timing can have changed so much!

Anyways, the car was now running and I drove off happily to work - only for it to cut completely off 10 kilometers later down the motorway.

I have checked that the fuel pump works - as I get around 50 ml fuel out from the fuel feed pipe when I turn on the ignition key.
I have checked that I get a spark from the ignition transformer (coil) and that a loose spark plug connected to one of the spark plugs connects does spark when I turn the engine.
But still no signs of life.

I guess the distributor hall sender is fully functional if the spark plug does spark at intervals.

So now I am stuck and cannot figure out what to do... Any good trouble-shooting tips?
How can the timing position change so much when the car has been stationary and I replaced the plugs, rotor and distributor cap? Can it be so far off now that I need to do something else to get it running?

I have checked the timing belt and it is firmly in place and I cannot see any problems with it.

Any help appreciated T:

·
Registered
8,736 Posts
Coil pack would be my first thing to try, they break down causing exactly this type of problem, think of it logically, if it was running before you left it, what has changed. Very unlikely that timing will have altered on it's own, remove coil pack and inspect, look for hairline cracks and discoloration. T:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coil pack would be my first thing to try, they break down causing exactly this type of problem, think of it logically, if it was running before you left it, what has changed. Very unlikely that timing will have altered on it's own, remove coil pack and inspect, look for hairline cracks and discoloration. T:
Ok - I will try to inspect and change this. I would just have expected no spark at all, if the coil pack fails.

It is the three pin type:

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you had to move the distributer after fitting the new cap you must have fitted the leads in the wrong position.
tuggy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you had to move the distributer after fitting the new cap you must have fitted the leads in the wrong position.
tuggy.
Well, I moved them one by one and also checked after moving them. So I exclude that.
But just in case, where di I find the sequence for them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts