VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to this forum having spent all my life dabbling with air-cooled vdubs.
Still have a beetle but now looking to purchase a T4 for camping in the summer and general short trip daily runner.

Just wondered if anyone has any tips for what to look for when viewing a private sale for a T4?

The specific model is a 1.9 petrol high top Holdsworth conversion but any general things for T4's would be handy.

Pretty good with body and rust issues (given plenty of that on old beetles!) bit any tips on engine or mechanical issues to look for would be great.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Welcome aboard, and good luck with your search. I can't really offer anything to look out for other than the usual stuffs, I'm sure some of the T4 members will be along shortly to help and advise. (y)

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
RUST....

and more rust...

then previous bad repair or bodge-fixes....

theyre old vans now so do not expect perfection, if it looks too good to be true then it probably iso_O

be suspicious of new paint & what could be hidden behind it, have a lookseeat the aftermarket repair-panels availability as these can give an idea on possible ares to look out for, as to mecanical issues, the same applies (including rust:ROFLMAO:)

the petrol 1.9 is basic, mk2 or mk3 golf type so plenty of spares although there are van-specific parts, gearboxes are based on car (mk3 golf era) but with van specific casings & final-drives...

plenty of scope for upgrades.

sorry to be the harbinger of doom but if youre prepared then theres little left to suprise...

Rich.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts