VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Interesting thread..

Although i probably do have some skills that would enable me (with lots of forum input) to do my own conversion, one thing i don't seem to have much of is time. With this in mind i spent a fair amount of time looking at conversion company's, their work, feedback and reviews.

Once we were happy we then visited a conversion company and had a close look at their workmanship and once satisfied we discussed our requirements both in person and by email. I think its sensible to confirm any verbal conversations by email just for everybody's own assurance.

I have added additional items (this week!!!!) pre conversion which i know are a pain in the rear but not critical to the build, stating my requirements and the cost, they contacted me and said it was fine but what i wanted was probably overkill and therefore saved me a few beertokensT: A good relationship and trust is a must.

Regarding payments, i paid a booking/reservation/spot fee which is understandable then a percentage when the van goes in, then the balance on completion once happy with the final product. For small business cash flow is king and even more so when materials are going up and margins going down.

Mine is being dropped off on Sunday for works commencing Monday I:

Waiting is gonna be an absolute bummer,

Cheers
A very excited 48yr oldRasp:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm fairly new here as a forum member and would like to know folks opinion on leasing a van rather than splashing out cash for a new one. I like the idea of not having to invest everthing up front, especially in tough economic times. I want one of the new Transits out in September, but can't decide what to do. I have had one face to face with a company based in Leicester and thought they were OK and wondered if anyone knew if they were savvy or not - http://www.mwvc.co.uk
Would appreciate anyone's opinion.

Cheers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi All;

i've been reading the forum and am looking at having my camper converted and would like to ask the forum if anyone has experience of the two following companies that i have spoken to and am looking at visiting.

1. Cannon Camper Conversions - http://www.cannoncamperconversions.co.uk
2. CamperVanity - http://www.vwcampervanity.co.uk/Services.html

The advice given so far is brilliant, keep it up!

Thanks and I look forward to hearing any thoughts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Having just got my first T5, just sold my 65 split, we have decided that the way we are going to progressis as follows:

Tailgate glass

Carpet van

Use

Pop top, after pots of research and talking to others

Electrics, temporary fix

R&R bed

Captain chairs

Units

Sound system

Spread our budget over 2 years but still have a useable van for camping and festivals

Indy

·
Registered
78 Posts
As for the company, there are 6 I need to look at, my nearest is Marlin conversion, 5 miles away and what I have seen so far is impressive, not the finished article but the work on other vans, cable layout, attention to detail behind the panels, knowledge and options.

I saw one company and I was not impressed by the workshop procedures, one would not let me into their workshop, so no thank you.

Above all a free coffee on arrival helps a lot as well

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
my advise would be not to rush into a conversion, an airbed will do for a while. get to some shows/meets and speak to people, have a look around. never been to a meet or show yet where people wont let you have a look in there bus!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any recommends for windows?
SW uk! Cornwall
They are first on my list, then the air bed, and I'm serious, about the bed that is.
Reimo pop top is next, with a bed, although I'm 6 ft I am sure I will fit, just

·
Registered
11 Posts
A great thread for somebody like me who is probably looking to have a professional conversion undertaken. On the subject of payments there is a simple method used by most of the boatbuilding industry where you have a simple contract that values specific stages and the client makes a payment; this means the cashflow for the builder is maintained and the customer can demonstrate ownership of the boat up to the last payment stage, protecting their interests too.

I can't imagine it would be that difficult to use something similar for van conversions, the contract is specifically very simple for both parties to use so there is no need for lawyers or professional valuers but it protects both parties. Ideal for the smaller convertors who would struggle to fund the conversion past a £500-1000 deposit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i am new to this forum and have a T4 i want to get insulated and lined it had a home made job on it years ago, i live in Devon ,can anyone recommend someone down this way?

·
Registered
31 Posts
After having a frightening morning having someone ( who shall remain nameless but advertises on ebay ) butcher two windows in my van I would say look at how they work where they are working from and if your first impression is that it's like steptoes yard run away quickly if I'd taken my own advice I wouldn't be contemplating taking my windows out to sort the utter abortion that I actually paid someone to do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It amazes me how many people on here ask for recommendations for conversion companies very close to where they live. Why exclude a better company because they are 50 miles further away? Generally speaking, the better the company, the longer the waiting list. I would be a bit suspicious of a company that could do the job tomorrow. We had to wait several Months before the converter we chose could start on our van but it was well worth the wait.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Reading through the tips on here I am satisfied that we did consider all them however, we have been left bitterly disappointed with our conversion.

The standard of finish does not match the standard we saw on the owner of the Bristol based companies van and now he wont answer emails or acknowledge that there are outstanding issues. There is nothing that cant be fixed but the reality is that we had to pay 2/3 up front and the balance on collection which wasn't a problem other than as it turns out, he is a take the money and run merchant.

It looks like the legal process will have to sort this one out.

My advice is have a look at as much of their work as possible and not just a show piece and also talk to other customers if possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I have a t5 swb and am looking to buy some tasamo cloth seats and a floor Matt, does anyone know the best place to buy these items?

Also I have 2 sliding Windows but can for them myself so if anyone can fit then I'll be willing to pay them?

Many thanks

21 - 34 of 34 Posts