VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 caravelle 2.5, 130 bhp

I am about to possibly need a 3rd battery in as many years

I have a 90 amp Yuassa battery which was replaced under halfords warranty last year.

Again motor failing to start , charging well at 14.6 volt

Halfords tested and still say its got 720 cca, and voltage as it should be. Will a starter motor that is about to fail require more amps to start than a brand new one ? and should 700 cca start a 2.5 giesel ok ? soon as I put small jump pack on starts a treat?

Can the Halfords test be accurate enough to test the cca? my thinking is if I pull up at halfords would mabe better leave a while rather then straight away??

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Sean

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I'd have thought 720 CCA would be plenty unless there's a poor earth somewhere perhaps that's stopping the starter from getting the full whack of power.
If you replace the battery, Yuasa make the YBX5019 which is 900CCA... some websites/sources may say it doesn't fit (it's something like 354mm wide) but it does - just remove the plastic side wall to make dropping it in easier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply, this is battery fitted( only meant to upload one pic) so this is less than 12 months old and now only 720 cca according to halfords test as 5 year guarantee thought they would replace, but not the case. I will check as you say for bad earth

·
Registered
312 Posts
It would be a good idea to suspect cable losses first, I did one recently that had 3V loss across both cables, symptoms were intermittent slow cranking, added a parallel earth cable, cleaned & soldered the pos cable ends which get corroded, now starts good everytime. Get someone to measure voltage loss, or at least check the cables.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has the battery ever run down flat?
The battery has never run completely flat but was down to 75 % according to battery charger and wouldn’t start at that . I charged it fully but wouldn’t start following morning without jump pack

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The battery has never run completely flat but was down to 75 % according to battery charger and wouldn’t start at that . I charged it fully but wouldn’t start following morning without jump pack
Eeew. 75% is not great, in my experience. I had two Yuasa batteries, both of which failed. Once they had discharged a significant amount, they just died. Since I thought I had a problem on the electrical side, I just bought a cheap (£50) battery so I could start and test the van. No problem found and the cheap battery has been perfect for two years. Can’t help feeling it is a particular type of battery (calcium) that is sensitive to discharge and even Yuasa admit they have their own limitations. See link.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eeew. 75% is not great, in my experience. I had two Yuasa batteries, both of which failed. Once they had discharged a significant amount, they just died. Since I thought I had a problem on the electrical side, I just bought a cheap (£50) battery so I could start and test the van. No problem found and the cheap battery has been perfect for two years. Can’t help feeling it is a particular type of battery (calcium) that is sensitive to discharge and even Yuasa admit they have their own limitations. See link.

Thanks for that information

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As a follow up, Starter motor was to blame, Bit the bullet and went for a bosch , motor has never spun up as fast in my ownership !!!!!

Thanks to those that commented, perhaps the sm was so knackered it was chewing through the batterys lol Sorry Halfords !!!:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it and added a reply to what the underlying problem was - so many threads on here that are just dead ends.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad to hear you got to the bottom of it and added a reply to what the underlying problem was - so many threads on here that are just dead ends.
Yes agree, infact someone else mentioned on their 2nd or 3rd battery but didnt put a follow up !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts