VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm just coming to the end of a house renovation and money is tight. A local chap came in to quote for two built in wardrobes one about 2.5m wide and the other about 1.5m wide with both around 2.7m tall.

I didn't expect it to be cheap but the quote has come back at over £6000!! Before I waste someone else's time with getting a second quote, is this what I should be expecting?

FWIW the quote I have was around £900 labour and over £5k of materials described as mid-range.

What do you think??

Cheers

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
What materials mate? Specs please
I was in the business for a short periode of time, even have a few mates still in the business.
6K should get U some very fine material T:

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
BTW, those measurement are OK? 270cm? Maybe that is what tips the scale as I know that we struggeled to go above 240cm when working on a budget. Someone more local may know better :*

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, it's an old house with really high ceilings so I guess that makes it non-standard and therefore more expensive, but for that amount I would expect gold handles and more!! The exact measurements I would have to check but it's close to what I quoted above.

He has sent me a link to Crown-Imperial website and said that the £6k would buy mid range units... Who knows what top of the range would cost?!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Shop around
Not slaying anybody, but some work with real daft margines :* & not to u`r favour I might add ;) YES, also in the UKRasp:

As I have HIGH celings myself, I know where U are comming from
So what is so special abt what U want??? :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
2 wardrobes!! I would be hopeing for a dam site more than that for £6000! we dont know the specs but it would have to be hand built in solid oak for this kind of money!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shop around

So what is so special abt what U want??? :)
I've not asked for anything special, just wardrobes that maximise the space and give us a tidy finish. Better half would like mirrored doors but I can't see those justifying the high price tag.

I'm reassured by the response I've had To this thread and will now seek to find a more reasonable chippy locally... Any one out there from my area???

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
When we were looking at this kind of stuff, we looked at what we could buy off the shelf too. To be honest, you could have spent half to two thirds of that buying habitat off the shelf 'built in' style sliding door wardrobes. We were in the same position, limited budget, and ended up getting what we needed from IKEA. Several years on, they're wearing better than I anticipated. Cost us about 1500, for a double door sliding wardrobe, 2m wide, 2.4m high and 64cm deep.

Whilst I reckon the price is indeed a lot of money, I think it's probably about the market price.

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
What finish / look you are after will affect the material price, but melamine faced boards, either on chipboard or mdf, are available generally 2800 x 2070mm or in the case of Kronospan's uk production off one of their presses 2620 x 2070, so achieving height shouldn't be an issue .

·
Registered
694 Posts
Depends on the materials of course but the prices mentioned here seem crazy for a blinkin' wardrobe! . :*

For that sort of money I'd have a damn good holiday and keep my clothes in a pile on the floor...

Admittedly the DIY route, and about 8 years ago now but I built ours using three 1m x 2m mirrored sliding door panels from Focus DIY (RIP!) at about £80 each, bottom and top rails/runner pack for about £50 plus internal shelving and hanging rails from IKEA. Add end panels and they are rock solid and look great.

Total cost around £500.

Mind you I might as well not have bothered as the missus has so much junk in there that none of my clothes will fit!

Cheers

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Its not just the cost of the board, its also the fittings within - most of these companies are installing more than just shelves/a hanging pole.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Had a mate do mine, 3 cupboards over bed and 4 floor to ceiling doors, materials came to £1k for dark wood doors. £6k seems excessive!

Was it Sharps? If so steer clear!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts