VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just brought an old ambulance t4. I've taken the timing cover off and the belt looks okay to me so does the pump. I'm trying to do everything on a budget. what do you gurus think about this belt? does it look new enough to not worry about for 20thousand kilometers?

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah no record. it just still has writing on it so I figured it would be allgood. and I'm not exactly drowning in money at the moment. are there any good cheap belts? like the optibelt kit?

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,519 Posts
Just consider that if the belt goes, you could be looking at a £4000 bill!
It's not just the belt(s), it's the idler/tensioner wheels and water pump that need doing.

Same to consider with "cheap" kits.

Mine's only done 30,000km since last change, but that was 4 1/2 years ago...so it's getting new in spring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah I dont have that much money to be changing belts ***** nilly. considering there 500 with a pump for the cheapest set

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,519 Posts
I guess that's what Indian (member on here) thought when he set of for a trip south to north Norway....
Somewhere along the route, either belt or pulley broke.
Took 4 weeks to fix, and a 40,000kr (£4000) bill.

Damages pistons, valves, can even break the camshaft.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Just consider that if the belt goes, you could be looking at a £4000 bill!
It's not just the belt(s), it's the idler/tensioner wheels and water pump that need doing.

Same to consider with "cheap" kits.

Mine's only done 30,000km since last change, but that was 4 1/2 years ago...so it's getting new in spring.
G

Same here, 4 years next May and only 16000 miles.....7

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
My van had a recent service and although the seller assured me it had had it's belt and pump replaced, I could find no paperwork to support it, so for piece of mind had them both done, much rather pay shy of £500 for the lot than a new engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A somewhat different opinion: what did you pay for it, and can you afford/live with a possible write-off because of a broken belt? The belt does look ok. Being an ex-ambulance, i'd reckon service intervals where respected, so at the worst it's about due to be changed, an extra 20 thousand km doesnt seem a high risk to me.

On T4's, i have the impression most belts break due to failing crankshaft damper pulley's and seizing tensioners. You could check those as a precaution.

But as always, there are no guarantees a belt wont break...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A somewhat different opinion: what did you pay for it, and can you afford/live with a possible write-off because of a broken belt? The belt does look ok. Being an ex-ambulance, i'd reckon service intervals where respected, so at the worst it's about due to be changed, an extra 20 thousand km doesnt seem a high risk to me.

On T4's, i have the impression most belts break due to failing crankshaft damper pulley's and seizing tensioners. You could check those as a precaution.

this was exactly the answer I was looking for mate thanks heaps! I checked over everything and it all just looks good and seems to work fine! I couldnt fault anything anyway!
i picked it up for 4000 australian dollars. it's really tidy it has some rust starting around the roof and one of the sliding doors looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years cleaned it out and probably a year to late it's just starting to rust no holes or anything.not to bad tho. and in rust we trust! I managed to track down when the last belt was replaced by calling the company that the guy had been using and asking if they had anything on record and boom. they assured me both belts and water pump done at 176000kms. on 26/05/2017 so basically 3 years ago and less then 30thousand ks.
they are a european company that look to be really good at what they do

1 - 10 of 10 Posts