VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I seem to be posting all over the place at the moment but just bought a 2.4 diesel 93 'velle and cant think of anywhere else i would rather get my advice from. My van has done 94,000 miles, has full service history and runs like a good 'en (obviously the usual flat as a pancake up hills) The last service was done in June 2010, and the van has only done 400 miles since!

Here's my question: Only 24k of those miles have been done in the last 11 years which was the last time the cambelt was changed. I was thinking of having a mini service so I know she is ready for the summer but the garage where i will be taking her has also suggested having the belts changed, suggesting they may be brittle / cracking? Are they after a few more dollars from me in these poor economic times or are they actually doing me a favour?

Other than a mini service / belts change is there anything else people would recommend I do?

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I would defineatly get the cambelt changed, its supposed to be done every 5 years regardless of mileage, i would also get the water pump done (they are very cheap) think you will ready for the summer then, enjoy your t4.
ann

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I'd certainly get the belts done bud, not worth risking it. Think the garage is giving you sound advice. Easy to get focused on miles covered between changes but time is also a factor and they will degenerate with age regardless of mileage.

·
Literally, white van man
4,071 Posts
T: Yep good advice, spend some now to avoid lots later ;)

Getting the waterpump done is also good advice, try to get a genuine VW pump, the patternised part profile on the pulley wheel is slightly different and can wear the belt prematurely (A VW master tec told my garage, when I had mine done just after I bought it, I had the belts, pump tensioners etc done even though it was only a year and 10k ago since 'Done' by the prevoius owner, the profile in the belt was scored by the old waterpump :( )

Chris

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Hi, I've had my 94 2.4 for a year now and i would advise a fuel filter change and probably the diesel leak off pipes. starts before i've finished turning the key now.T:

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Thank-you thevandidit, i assumed it would be 5 the same as my golf, we learn something new everydayT:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts