VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)

Just wondering what others (that don't use theirs as their main vehicle) are doing with their vans now we're under lockdown?
Registering SORN hurts- I live for my van trips- but am wondering if I'm unrealistic thinking we'll be set free in a couple of months.
What's everyone else thinking? hoping we'll be let out again soon-ish, or saving some road tax costs?

·
Special Rapporteur
8,954 Posts
You may get some unexpected reactions from other people if you tell them that you have SORNed a vehicle because of the lockdown - on another forum I've come across people who believe that you are being "unsupportive of the government" by doing it.

But that doesn't worry me - I got my van MOT'd on Monday (an apptmt booked more than a week previously, before the announcement about MOTs was made) and declared my van SORN on Tuesday.

To my way of thinking there is no point in paying for a service that you are not using - so if you have somewhere off-road that you can store the vehicle then why not?

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,320 Posts
China was in lockdown for a few months so probably be the same here.
I'm SORNing ours, I checked with the insurers the other day & there's no issue, with ours anyway. We're meant to be going away mid June for 6 weeks but I can't see that happening TBH. It's easy enough to SORN & then re-tax again when necessary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, think I'll go down the SORN route too, that way I'm saving the cash if this does go on a long time, and can only be nicely surprised if we're let out sooner!

·
Registered
416 Posts
suppose It depends if your planning on leaving van insurance in place as well as ‘sorn’ If it’s to save £40+ In road tax I wouldn’t bother my ar#e tbh....(maybe higher velle/shuttle @£50 per moth) if we are allowed back out on the 29 day of a month you have to pay from the 1st of said month anyway......plus I would like to drive and move it over the next couple of months to stop things from seizing rusting not charging properly etc.....

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Yep sorned here
I know it's only around £23 a month but I can't see anyone really getting away in vans until sept/Oct at the earliest

·
Registered
768 Posts
I am thinking same as Koojo. I will leave mine as is. Take it out and run it even though its a trip for essential food shopping, least its getting moved.(y)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yep sorned here
I know it's only around £23 a month but I can't see anyone really getting away in vans until sept/Oct at the earliest
Surely it depends what you use your van for!
If only for holidays, days away, OK, but if you use it for other purposes, can't see the point.

·
Registered
8,785 Posts
Not sorning either of our motors , Alternating between the 2 for essential duties to keep them from seizing up.
Washing,polishing and showing them more tlc as i have a little more time on my hands right now .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts