VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We are contemplating a road trip to Tromso ( or thereabouts ) in 2016 and looking for any hints and tips.

We would be going through the tunnel and driving up through Belgium, Holand and Denmark to cross the bridge to Sweden.

So then what do we go up the Norwegian Atlantic coast and back down the Swedish Baltic coast or visa versa?

There are 2 of us and the pup in our campervan with canopy or drive away as suits. We are self sufficient except for shower / toilet so need camp sites or wild next to facilities. What sort of availability / cost in Norway and Sweden?

I know, having done business in Norway and Sweden, just how expensive they can be. Can't do much about fuel but what about food?

What time of year is best weather wise?

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Fantastic.

I've just moved over there just North of the Circle near Bodø. We drove from Saltburn to there last year via the Newcastle ferry and then up through Holland, Germany and Denmark like you mention. http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=400647

Fuel prices are pretty much the same as the UK so no bother there. Eating out is quite expensive and stock up on Booze before you get to Denmark if you like that sort of thing ;)

I based my route of the Norwegian tourist routes. They are brilliant and have great facilities. http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en

We did a bit of both wild camping and proper campsites. NAF is like the noggy AA and their website has a great guide to some sites. Prices aint too bad.

The kystriksveien From Bronnøysund up to Bodø is lovely and then you can get the ferry over to Lofoten and head on up through Vesterålen and Tromsø. The scenery is out of this world. I never get bored of the mountains up here. Senja to the north of Tromsø is supposed to be lovely too. I'm hoping to go up there this summer.

There is so much to take in you never have enough time but I hope you enjoy the planning as much as I did T:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have a read & watch the video on the thread I started....... [/url]
Great vid. We plan to do midnight sun and mostly follow the coast.

I based my route of the Norwegian tourist routes. They are brilliant and have great facilities. http://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en
The 18 Routes look really useful - pretty much what we had planned for Norway.

Need to look for a couple of stop overs in Norway and on the Baltic coast so if we get some nice weather we can crash for a few days. Although we have ideas about what to see and do we want to book as little as possible and go with the flow. We have the luxury of time if not space.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Great vid. We plan to do midnight sun and mostly follow the coast.

The 18 Routes look really useful - pretty much what we had planned for Norway.

Need to look for a couple of stop overs in Norway and on the Baltic coast so if we get some nice weather we can crash for a few days. Although we have ideas about what to see and do we want to book as little as possible and go with the flow. We have the luxury of time if not space.
Aye we had a rough route that changed a few times. We wanted to walk to Kjeragbolten and get the ferry from Lysebotn down to Preikestolen but the weather was horrible so we ended up going back where we came from and up to Røldal. The more time you have the better. Its so easy to underestimate the distances between places over here. T:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trip decided - booked ferries today.

While we want to be easy going we found that we had to make bookings. Going flexi is expensive whereas making a change if need be only costs a few quid.

Booked Dover - Dunkirk as much cheaper than Eurotunnel and although it adds 60-90 minutes it saves 30 minutes and a few litres the other side. The return was blocked out for much of a week in July - start of Dutch school hols. Also booked Colorline Hirtshals/Kristiansand.

Booked both direct as thats cheapest. Colorline only offers small, medium or large car but as small car is 2.25h X 5l we fit anyway. DFDS charge £15 each way for the dog but Colorline only wanted €8!

So midnight sun here we come ?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
7 more sleeps to go and we are off J:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will do my best, wi fi permitting, to post to FB, https://www.facebook.com/sussexvanblanc/, while on the road.

We are not planning to go much further north than the AC. We are going up the Atlantic coast and back down through Sweden and the Baltic coast.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
50km south of the Arctic Circle we discovered a strange thing with our Kenwood/Garmin DNX520DAB. In the middle of the afternoon the screen, which is set to auto, decided that it was night time. Fact is there is no night time at this latitude at this time of year. I had to keep it set on daytime until we got south again and it would work on auto. It seems that day/night is determined by the satellites and clearly can't cope with high latitudes at midsummer.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
50km south of the Arctic Circle we discovered a strange thing with our Kenwood/Garmin DNX520DAB. In the middle of the afternoon the screen, which is set to auto, decided that it was night time. Fact is there is no night time at this latitude at this time of year. I had to keep it set on daytime until we got south again and it would work on auto. It seems that day/night is determined by the satellites and clearly can't cope with high latitudes at midsummer.
That's interesting, do you want to purchase a Pioneer and try that LOL:

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's interesting, do you want to purchase a Pioneer and try that LOL:
Yes when the new van gets here and when Pioneer is 100% compatible with park sensors. However might not be going back to the Arctic Circle anytime soon so you'll need to find another test pilot T:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts