VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After a some opinions.

I have a 2005 t5 kombi. 2.5l 174 bhp. 130k miles. Twin sliding door. Few nice touches like heated seats, airbags etc. I bought this a couple of years ago and have done a ton of work inside, like insulating, carpeting, caravelle sliding rear seat and rails, twin captain seats with swivels, cruise control, hook up etc etc. Basically got it a state where I’m quite happy with it. However, the external is letting it down, and I want to do wheels, rear spoiler, and do something with the bumpers (black plastic at the moment).

I have the van for weekends and camping at the moment, doing about 3k a year. I have a car as well. However due to losing some space at home, I want to get rid of the car and use the van for everything. Will be doing about 12k miles a year. It is actually cheaper to keep the car, but space is the issue, not cost.

Now I am in 2 minds as to what to do. Options being:

1. Invest some money in the existing van. Do the wheels, spoiler, and a facelift conversion, to get it to a point where it looks neat and I’m happy using it for my work commute etc. I expect this may cost me about £2,500.
2. Sell the van, and buy a newer 5.1. Possible around 13/14 plate. I would then have to spend the money upgrading this van to where my current van is. I expect I may be able to sell my van for £10k or so (maybe more), so I suspect I am looking at an extra £15k for the upgrade. Advantage would be potentially lower running costs, and a newer van generally that may be more accepting of the miles.

I would want to stick with a twin sliding door kombi, and would get the caravelle seat again, as I find the setup works really well for us.

What do people think? Stick with the van I have and accept potentially higher running costs and repairs, or shell out for a newer van? Obviously the cost difference between the 2 options is significant, but a newer van would continue to hold its money.

Any advice very much appreciated.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I would sell your van while the mileage is not too high, and more value. In two years time it will be close to 160K, and worth a lot less. Newer van hopefully less to spend on mechanics, more to spend on how you want it. Just my opinion

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Opinions are exactly what i am after.

Having looked a bit more at prices of newer vans, the twin sliding doors look fairly rare, and to get anywhere near my spec they are big money. Maybe i will put mine up for sale and see what interest i get. I have seen slightly lower quality vans than mine go for about 14, so i may start there.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I stopped using my van as daily drive about two years ago, to keep mileage down. 09 plate 87K, I figure the longer I can keep it under the 100k the more value I will return if I sell. I do miss driving the bus daily though. hoping to upgrade in a few years.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,766 Posts
I would take the opposite view. As it's already gone over the irrational psychological 100k mark it's hardly depreciating at all.

A 13/14 plate on the other hand is still depreciating quite fast and putting more miles on that will cause the value to drop faster. If you buy a van with "average" 60k miles you'll take that over a 100k miles in just over 3 years.

As you say, twin sliders are fairly rare so if you're used to them you will miss them (or pay a premium if they are "must have"). And you will miss the 5-cylinder engine unless you go for the complexity of a BiTDi - I would not choose to do that personally.

Of course, if money is no object then it's no problem at all - but the most cost-effective option IMO is to keep what you have and do the cosmetics.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The newer the van the more you stand to lose in deprecation etc...

I'd rather stick to the van you know if you know it's been well looked after etc, might have even more trouble with a newer model! T:

Judging by everyone's high mileage t5's on here I'm hoping to keep mine till it puffs out :) but mine is a work van so a different scenario I suppose

·
Registered
127 Posts
I agree completely with Triffic & Will T:

If you got a new van would you really be happy putting 15k miles on it per year? Yours is barely bedded in, with all the early miles problems and 'lemon' potential issues long behind you.

You are currently happy with the mechanical state of your vehicle, the common faults with that vehicle are well understood, and you have outfitted it 'just so'. The ONE question you need to ask is if you think the bodywork will last (or last given some economical repairs). If it will, buy it and do the upgrades you seek (and repairs necessary with haste).

I would advise you have some form of under body treatment to preserve it as long as possible, and bear in mind your wheels need to be suitable for daily driving (read: daily potholing and kerbing). Or get some show wheels and daily drive the current ones.

Once you've decided to keep it, treat it to a professional detail A:

My last van was a twin slider Transit, and they are also fairly rare, so I know where you're coming from. With us wanting to invest in a more thorough conversion, it had to go as it was 15 years old by then and perforating, but your conversion is already done.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
Seems you have to pay top money for a T5.1 now, I bought my 2004 T5 when it was just under 4 years old and it only had 44k on the clock.
Paid 8.5k for it, I could probably sell it for that today now it's been facelifted and updated and we are 8 years on.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I was in the exact situation 2 years ago. I stuck with my '57 plate Kombi and treated myself to new wheels, colour coded bumpers etc.
I bypassed the 5.1 as I felt it wasn't that different enough to warrant the outlay.
But I must say if you've got that itch for a new van, it doesn't go away!!
Hense my T6 is being built as we speak and should be with me in a few weeks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the replies. food for thought.
Something i forgot to mention that may impact my decision, if i sort of got done over when i bought the van, because the seller was supposed to send me the servicing information (he was moving at the time and it was in storage), but i foolishly took the van and agreed he was to send it on afterwards. This never happened so i have very little service history. I expect this will impact the resale value. Not as issue for me keeping it as i have gone over it thoroughly and know the condition of everything.
I think im leaning towards keeping it and doing a few further improvements.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi
Have a 2004 2.5 130 with 120k and same thoughts earlier this year. Decided better the devil I know and knew that I'd miss the displacement :), went ahead and had re-map, forge egr delete and miltek cat back ss exhaust = even bigger smile. Can not depreciate very much more whereas a new kombi would be just a new number plate costing a shed load of money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tried to PM you but it won't let me.
Hi don't know if your interested but I have a 2010 T5.1. When I bought it it was a 9 seater shuttle LWB with twin sliders, I removed the shuttle interior and had half length Carravelle rails fitted. It is currently fitted out with with two captains upfront on swivels and two captains out of a Carravelle in the rear on swivels. I have now had it reregistered as max seating Capacity 6 seats (easier for insurance) so leaving the option for a twin front passanger seat and removing the two captains from the rear and fitting a carravelle bench.
The van is also insulated and carpet lined. I was going to build a side bench that would slide to make a full width bed but have not had the chance or a Missus that will put up with camping.
The Bus also has been fitted with a satnav/dab/bluetooth/reverse camera and tv tuner, side bars and 18" Sportline alloys.
Obviously elec windows and Aircon as standard.
Current mileage 87k just MOT'd/Searviced New cam belt kit fitted 2 years ago at 75K. rear windows have been dark tinted which looks great with the Met grey paintwork.
Rear HVAC not working at the moment but will be looking into that when I get home. Also need to reconnect power to TV tuner.

Nice Van drives well and economical been the 140 6speed manual model. The bueaty of it been a ex Shuttle is that it is classified as M1 so car speed limits apply
Thinking of selling as I do not use it enough and can't convince the wife to try camping.

Not sure what it is worth but am open to realistic offers.

The van is based in Hereford, but I am working away till mid Oct,but if you are interested in this as a replacement van let me know, I may be able to arrange my brother to let you view it if you can't wait till I get home

Andy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all,

After some internal debating, i settled on keeping the van. In the process of selling the car. On the verge of spending a fair chunk of money to get it where i want it to be cosmetically. Just need to get over the hump of spending what i think is quite a lot of money of a 2005 vehicle. Getting a front facelift, with HIDs, DRLs, fog lights etc, with the sportline splitter and the rear new style bumper, all supplied, fitted (with proper bumper bar) and painted for abotu £2,500. I could probably buy a half decent car with that. But its money well spent on my van right? .........right?? Or is it not worth it. I dont know!
Suppose i had better get all my frivolous spending out of the way now before i have any kids...

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Good decision.
I still think the 5 cylinder was one of the best engines put in a VW van.
I'd swap for a Euro 6 T6 (the engine is very close to that of a Golf) but not a T5.1.
Been there, done that, went considerably greyer and spent half my time with it at the dealers despite very low mileage.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I still think the 5 cylinder was one of the best engines put in a VW van.
Shock Horror - Cali & I agree on something T:.

A great pity they did not develope the 5-pot, but (AFAIK) it was euro V that killed it.

Of course, there is the added fact that there is a lot more metal in a 5-pot compared to a 4-pot which pleases the bean counters.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
Shock Horror - Cali & I agree on something T:.

A great pity they did not develope the 5-pot, but (AFAIK) it was euro V that killed it.

Of course, there is the added fact that there is a lot more metal in a 5-pot compared to a 4-pot which pleases the bean counters.
Ain't no replacement for displacement.

Which is why our car is the only one available with a 3.0 six cylinder engine. The competition all has little 2.0 4 pots pushing out big power - nope, not for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts