VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well like a lot of people out there I'm embarking on my first journey into van conversions, starting with my new T5.1 panel van
Highline spec.

Waiting at vw dealer

First Up a bit of outside bling so roof bars and side bars to stop door dents!
Next job sound deadening :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well like a lot of people out there I'm embarking on my first journey into van conversions, starting with my new T5.1 panel van
Highline spec.

Waiting at vw dealer

First Up a bit of outside bling so roof bars and side bars to stop door dents!
Next job sound deadening :)
Nice van and nice colour,T: I've gone down the gloss black details,, next job maybe roof bars, how strong are the ones on yours.:)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They say they take upto 75 kg good enough for the boards etc, they felt quite light and flimsy befor I fitted them but once bolted up they feel really stiff.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well another weekend is with us, with the new van widow inside cleaning I set about the sound deadening, I went with silent coat in the end 60sm the difference is fantastic.

Could not resist putting a bit of carpet on the wheel arch after a quick flick on utube off I went can in hand, not as hard as I thought it might be :)

More tomorrow with a bit of wiring and insulation A:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice to see a bit of sun today, split charger routing day to day, ran cables up through the passenger side behind battery through a gromit in the bulk head, removed the seats and ran the cable under the carpet. while I was there I ran the 240v hook up at the same time with the connection under the bonnet,. Bit annoyed to find all the carpet wet on the passenger side on my new van, so a trip in to Breeze I think.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great spec van. Have fun and make sure you thrash it out on paper/computer and in your mind before deciding what to do. That van deserves top quality all the way! T:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well another weekend has passed and now on day 7 of van conversion, not going to badly started to do panels.

First panel cut out and scribed in, painted back to stop damp/ mould..
Next up some covering to do started at the back with the chocolate brown leather for the tail gate.

Then around the doors and pillars

After a few hours it was time to start fitting the first panels

Must say I'm really enjoying the work and love the way it's coming on.T:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great job so far T:
Interesting to see someone doing something different to carpet. Is the cream leather or vinyl, and how hard is it to mould around door pillars etc?
Cheers, it's vinyl from a company called Majilight, they do all types. This is a foam back cream with a light satin much like Bentley leather. Around the windows and on the roof I'll be using a satin nickel colour for contrast.
Re putting it around the door it's not to bad you need to use a hot air gun to make it supple enough to go round tight corners .

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where did the majilite stuff come from please.:)
I bought it from a upholstery company Local to me. It's used a lot in the marine industry for linings. A quick flick on the web should get you some close to you. I'll have a look and post up an address

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought it from a upholstery company Local to me. It's used a lot in the marine industry for linings. A quick flick on the web should get you some close to you. I'll have a look and post up an address
Looking about your best bet is eBay, best price I've seen.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
More done today, finished side panels and relocated the vw overhead lights .

Fitted swivel seat to passenger side , started ceiling feature

Mor tomorrow with the for panel.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Busy busy today! Time to tackle the roof feature, templates the new roof on to 4mm birch then cut it out and tried it in, god it's hard to get the bugger in to the correct position, in and out 3 or 4 times then it was some where handy, then started on the feature in the centre stuck some 6mm batons along the centre to make the panel gap then coved out side strips then centre panels .I have 4 warm white led in the centre panel with remote controls RGB led strip under the drop down feature, should look prity slick when it's up and lit. Came out quite well, just the actual fixing to do now. :gl

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello peeps
Day 9, well putting up the roof on your own is interesting! Still it's up and stuck in position. All propped up for the day.

Had to do a little get over around the sliding door hump, made a little box scribed it in and covered. Not bad still a bit ugly but better than the metal.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts