VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mines dad is on the TellyBox this evening.
He has done a Documentary :

The Truth About Hospital Food

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/

This is on the Telly box tonight Channel 4 at 8pm.

If you've been lucky enough never to have experienced hospital food and
not sure what all the fuss is about then please watch it this evening.
Then come back and sign the petition
http://www.hospitalfoodfight.net/

one day you will have the delight of sampling the NHS hospital food

Cheers
JIMMY MACK

·
Registered
412 Posts
My tuppence!

I have had the misfortune to have to have a hospital stay, as has my wife last year when she was in hospital for the birth of our little boy, and also when he was very poorly.

Not once did I think the food was cordon bleu, but then again, it's a hospital and I'm not paying for it (other than through taxes).

Seeing documentaries like this hacks me off as it portrays the NHS in a bad light. Not all trusts have substandard food, but the way this documentary has been advertised, means that the casual observer will feel that this is the case.

If people don't like the NHS, there'll be plenty of needy people that would be glad of the beds!

Rant over

;)

·
Registered
408 Posts
+1

If you want a fine dining experence then get pally with Michael Winner. I've seen previews of this program on the Dispatches website and whilst it was argued that the quality of the nosh contributed to the healing process, at the end of the day the NHS aren't running a restaurant and I'd rather my (huge) tax bill was spent on equipment and staff wages rather than making sure someones dinner looks nice.

What next? People splattered on the road are going to ask see the menu and the wine list before they're carted off for their free treatment.

As the undercover journo pointed out in the preview, when he had a meal that was prepared for the private patients it was fine - should have gone private then mate, that's what you get when you pay extra for your healthcare.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
A good point was made on the tv this morning, hospital food is never going to be fantastic due to the logistics and numbers involved.
Dr Hilary made the point, that seeing as most people have visitors, why not get them to bring in food if your not happy with the hospital stuff.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I was in hospital for a few days after a burst appendix subsequent slight infection and i couldnt eat enough of it!
Olsdkool!
Cottage Pie, Soggy Veg, hard Potatoes etc- just like my old mum used to make- comfort food!

I even "chatted up" the auxiliary serving up the grub and usually got second helpings of the puddings! (Apple Crumple/ Rhubarb Tart etc etc..sluuurrrrp)

Maybe i just got lucky that week eh?

T:

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
It was featured on the Jeremy Vine show on Radio 2 today.
lots of whingers about

Its already been said - people could have food brought it if they dont like what they get.
The NHS needs supporting.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sorry but the food i was given for the first thee weeks when i went in was terrible

All they gave me was a clear liquid in a plastic bag:eek:

After three weeks on that i couldn't care less what the food was like.

P.S. The custard they gave me was llluuusshhT:

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
+1

at the end of the day the NHS aren't running a restaurant and I'd rather my (huge) tax bill was spent on equipment and staff wages rather than making sure someones dinner looks nice.
I agree.
But it does need to be nutritional. Food in an NHS hospital is there to serve only one purpose in my book, provide fuel for the physical body. If it looks or tastes like walpaper paste never mind - a doctor just did somekind of medical miracle on you for free.
If you want more from your NHS, start paying 80p in the pound tax OR just ask your friends to bring you in a sandwich and a banana each day.

In the good old days when everyone realised there was a finite amount of money (unlike labour who seemed to spend £10 billion for every £20 we actually had) it was the responcibility of the family of the patient to feed them.
I think that people should consider this as an option before moaning about it.

If the food servers its purpose )fuel) and is therefore functional I support it - however un-5* gourmet dining it is.

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
one day you will have the delight of sampling the NHS hospital food

Cheers
JIMMY MACK
well in Jim T:

Most of our modern illnesses and diseases are caused by the aditives, the hormones and pesticides we have in our food.
Our diet is literally killing us.

Name me one cure the NHS has made in 50 years?

you could say that we are living longer?
only because the infant moratlity rate has fallen, raising the average.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Hospital food is rank - end of, the most disgusting stuff ever produced, the best you could do if you are going in for a stay is ask for the halal/Asian menu, decent curries that are edible

I know from experience, I looked forward to breakfast as I could have toast which was edible, lunch was un buttered dry as you like sarnies and tea was bad, had pork casserole one day, I would not have gave it to my dog, in the end my wife was bringing in bacon rolls, cottage pie etc as I couldn't eat the rubbish the hospital served up, I was in for 5 stays over 2006 and lost so much weight the dietician put me on supplements

·
Registered
412 Posts
Name me one cure the NHS has made in 50 years?
That's not the job of the NHS! :confused:
They're there to make the best use of the technology available, along with the medicines available to help get people back on their feet. Leave the discovery of cures to the Research and Development labs of the pharmaceutical companies

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
That's not the job of the NHS! :confused:
They're there to make the best use of the technology available, along with the medicines available to help get people back on their feet. Leave the discovery of cures to the Research and Development labs of the pharmaceutical companies

Dear me.
You hit the nail on the head there mate.

what if the cures come from something not manufactured by the pharmaceutical companies.
because it would put them out of buisness.

Cancer for example.

The "Treatment" is Radiation or chemo that kills all cells in the the body.
you just got to hope the cancer dies before you do.

when cancer is a reaction to Candida infection.
it is a "Fungus" and can be treated with Sodium Bicarbonate, Cannabis oil, Vitamin B17

But the "pharmaceutical" companies make Millions out of not curing it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Cancer for example.

The "Treatment" is Radiation or chemo that kills all cells in the the body.
you just got to hope the cancer dies before you do.

when cancer is a reaction to Candida infection.
it is a "Fungus" and can be treated with Sodium Bicarbonate, Cannabis oil, Vitamin B17

But the "pharmaceutical" companies make Millions out of not curing it.
I know we've digressed!

If these alternative treatments are so cheap, why don't the NHS use them? (Genuine question, not being provocative!) After all, it costs them millions to buy medicines from the pharma companies. Lack of clinical trials, lack of research, poor efficacy?

I know which choice I'd take if faced with the option of conventional treatment or alternative, but that's just me!

Mark

·
Registered
15,768 Posts
I know we've digressed!

If these alternative treatments are so cheap, why don't the NHS use them? (Genuine question, not being provocative!) After all, it costs them millions to buy medicines from the pharma companies. Lack of clinical trials, lack of research, poor efficacy?

I know which choice I'd take if faced with the option of conventional treatment or alternative, but that's just me!

Mark

there are no lack of trials or research.
i know someone who works in medical research.
they are being payed to disprove Homeopathy, natural remedies and cures.
Not find out what is best with the least side effects. but convincingly disprove. :no
that's really bad.
I can't reveal who that is as some of their colleagues have had threats against them.

You can't patent a plant you see. that anyone could grow.
Big Pharma is a cartel. that has the NHS by the short and curlies.
Doctors are trained to stay within a very fine boundry of knowledge, which they must not deviate from.
they are not trained to cure anything, just fit you up for a course of tablets. or fit you in for an Operation.

The Royal Family all use Homeopathy BTW. not Pharmacutical drugs :*
how many of them have died of cancer? not many.
a few have drank themselves to death, but they all seem to live very long healthy lives.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had this been a documentary about potholes on our roads and the damage caused to our cars/ vans or bikes
Me thinks some of the comment would be different .
But tbh it the same situation of what we expect for our taxes.
Except one of these things matters the other one doesn't

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wifes auntie was the producer of that programme...:ILU:
One of the points that really infuriated my Auntie whilst producing it, was that good, healthy food can be served. Just look at the hospital in Chelsea; but this is not copied throughout the system.
Why, when a few hospitals get it so right can the majority get it so wrong. The Chelsea hospital wasn't given any bigger budget for food than a similar sized hospital.... as patients you don't expect Michelin star food, but surely what you eat and how healthy it is for you impacts massively on how quickly and efficiently you recover.

You also have the argument that if the food is not eaten and thrown away, the NHS might as well be pouring money straight down the drain.

There is no silver bullet for this issue, but discussing it and highlighting the Good as well as the Bad must be benefical for all of us; as we all at somepoint may have to sample to the delights of it !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts