VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some banging on van when taking foot off accelerator but when I touched the brakes the banging goes so took off the front near side wheel off and this Allen key bolt fell on floor... Here's a quick pic!

I've put it back in as tight as I could with a small Allen key and it tightened fairly tight with no spinning! So what is this bolt for? Cheers in advance for any info. *<:)>

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's for holding the brake disc on, not essential as the wheel bolts do the same thing. Just makes fitting the wheel easier as the disc can't spin.

·
Registered
759 Posts
That mounting face could do with a fettle too.Start with a wire brush and some emery cloth followed by a very light wipe with copper grease before the wheel goes back on. The wheel will tend to fret and work loose tightened against a rusty suface....check the mating surface on the back of the wheel tooT:T:
It might not be anything to do with the noise but prevention is better than cure.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the replysT: so ive tightened it up as tight as I could is this right or as this locked my disc on?
Yes it's a job I need to do Motters, just got some alloys of si and just had steelies on before so gonna get myself some copper grease and sort itT:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The little bolt is for location and needn't be super tight, as a previous poster pointed out it is to aid reassembly and the wheel bolts hold it on.

Clean the two faces and coat with a bit of copper grease as you intend. When two dissimilar metals are clamped together it leads to elecrolytic welding, so the wheel can be difficult to get off even after the bolts have been removed. Pass me that lump hammer!

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Cheers for the replysT: so ive tightened it up as tight as I could is this right or as this locked my disc on?
Yes it's a job I need to do Motters, just got some alloys of si and just had steelies on before so gonna get myself some copper grease and sort itT:
mate just tighenten enough to hold the disc,do not over tigheten or you will round bolt undoing...not ment to be super tight..as above apply some grease to aid undoing..i also stick a blob of grease in the bolt hole,just to stop rust..as these are very prone to rounding when undoing if rusty..

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers si will do it as soon asT: and perkins I had a Honda jazz with factory alloys and that happened to that, must of been funny for passes by watching me booting my wheel and shouting at it:D

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
If the wheel sticks, and no lump hammer available, some folks put the wheel nuts back on loosely, lower the van/car and gently rock it until it breaks the bond.

BTW an engineer advised me not to oil or grease the wheel studs as a bit of rust can help hold them tight. It's your decision of course. Always a good idea to recheck the wheel nut/stud tightness after a few miles .

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
BTW an engineer advised me not to oil or grease the wheel studs as a bit of rust can help hold them tight. It's your decision of course. Always a good idea to recheck the wheel nut/stud tightness after a few miles .
Sorry but did that same engineer tell you that a rusty thread will give you a torque miss read when doing bolts up
Threads should be greased so the correct torque is uniform and accurate across all bolts

Also copper grease was mentioned for the hub faces this should not be used when alloys are used as copper grease reacts with alluminium
Use alluminium paste against alloysT:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Threads should be greased so the correct torque is uniform and accurate across all bolts
In my owners manual it tells you not to grease the threads. I phoned VW Aust. asking why not, & they told me it's because of the possibility of hydraulic lock in the blind holes if too much grease is used resulting in the potential for loose wheel bolts after they have been tightened. I use a small amount of "neverseeze" on the threads & on the cone surface.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
It's for holding the brake disc on, not essential as the wheel bolts do the same thing. Just makes fitting the wheel easier as the disc can't spin.
looks like a brake drum to me well you learn sumthing new everday lol

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
In my owners manual it tells you not to grease the threads. I phoned VW Aust. asking why not, & they told me it's because of the possibility of hydraulic lock in the blind holes if too much grease is used resulting in the potential for loose wheel bolts after they have been tightened. I use a small amount of "neverseeze" on the threads & on the cone surface.
T4 has blind holes does it you may want to check T:

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well had a good drive in van today and the loud knocking as stoppedT: still need to sort the hub face out just need to get some grease and maybe some of this lock tight stuff! Don't get the spanners out much! But learning slowly from hereT::D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts