VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the tech guide and i know what i'm doing (I:) but tonight i snapped my supposed heavy duty g clamp. I'm off to an engineering suppliers in the morning to see if they have a proper hd clamp.

failing that i'm looking at one of the proper tools for fitting and removal.

What i don't understand though is how the tool with two slim metal prongs can be that strong. Anyone got one/used one and confirm how they hold up. I'm guessing they must, but i just can't see it myself.

Also any other tips as i'm now stuck with one cut off ball joint waiting to be pressed out, to top it off it's my daily driver too.

Thanks

Bob

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
From your description it sounds like your trying to press the ball joint out of the top arm with a forked ball joint splitter :*

I bought a press kit form US tools for over £100 and it works a treat.
If you get a tougher G clamp then get some pressure on the ball joint pushing it down and strike the top arm on the side of the ball joint housing,this shock will release the ball joint if you have enough pressure on with the G clamp.

Not an easy job without the correct tools.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been scouring for a tool to do it but i have a budget. I've seen the proper one for £200 ish. But then i've just found a three piece set on machinemart for £80 ish. I'm going to give them a ring in the morning. to see if they have it. There was one on a Czech website for £100 is but they've gone.

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Just scoured ebay for the US pro kit i bought a while ago but they are not on there anymore.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here you go bud T:T:T: CLICKY!

Edit, just had a look and they are no longer on offer, shame though they were the proper job and only 80 notes.
That was the one i was referring to, you sent me the link in another thread. I wish i'd just stumped up the cash and bought one. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

·
Meithered to death
2,859 Posts
Before i bought the tool i replaced a couple by beating them out with a big hammer.I removed the complete hub and moved the driveshaft out of the way then with two axle stands one either side of the top arm and a strong length of 2" box steel accross the two and beneath the top arm to support it,there is a flat stubb underneath the arm that you locate on the steel.I then proceeded to beat the ball joint down and out of the arm,it took some belting but it did come out eventually.Once it was out i cleaned the grip splines inside the top arm socket and placed the new ball joint into a suitable sized deep socket and placed this on top of the box steel then beat the top arm down onto it.Its a crude method but if your stuck it will work :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just checked online your looking at £185 to buy the tool yourself so hiring from dan has got to be the best option. I know thats what i'll be doing when i change mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just did my top and bottom ones yesterday on my own with no special tools. I released the torsion bar and did as was said earlier dropped the hub off altogether and then blocked the top arm and used a hammer came straight out. I had a harder time undoing the bolts on the bottom one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts