VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My van has been deemed a total loss recently but I bought the van back from the insurance company to have it rebuilt and get back on the road. We are reaching the end of the rebuild and paint but the insurance have asked that the van have an MOT and an engineers report done. The van will be reregistered as an category S but we need an engineer to sign it off. Is there anyone familiar with this senario or knows of an engineer near the Glasgow area?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Since they changed the category system a couple of years ago its allot harder to get a write off back on the road, back when it was A B C D, it was straight forward A was when there was nothing left (usually burnt out) B was damaged beyond repair and could not go back on the road, C was beyond economical repair but could go back on the road but needed mot + engineers report, D was when the vehicle was not actually a write off at all but there were other mitigating circumstances, such as insurance had given you a hire car and by the time your car got estimated the hire charges were more than the value of your car thuss writing your car off, with a cat D you didnt have to do anything just fix it and drive, but now we only have cat N non structural and cat S structural but this is where it gets complicated and you have to talk to the insurer that categorised it as there are levels within the category's, ie not all cat S vehicles can go back on the road, with regard to your engineers report you can book it in with the dvla or a garage that is approved by the dvla usually around £80.00, My mates used to buy write offs direct from the insurers turn them around and sell them on but its got too complicated and too hit and miss these days to make it worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts