VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a comment, as I have spent a long time researching tow bar mounted bike racks for a t5 tailgate model which would tilt enough to allow the tailgate to open, I have a eurobar towbar and fitted a maxxraxx 4 bike (from halfords £176) rack which is easy to fit, easy to tilt (if a bit heavy when loaded), built in locks and locking cable and clears the tailgate when tilted (with a childs bike as the last bike) by about 6". Its also shorter out the back than towball mounted racks that tilt from thule etc. I had the rack from boxed to loaded ready to go in about 15mins which included fitting the plate behind the tow ball.

Seems an excellent product so far T:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ditto: Just bought a Maxxraxx 4 bike towbar carrier with light board and carrier for £180 from roofbox.co.uk. Our van has barn doors so will feedback on ability to open with bikes on.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I loved our Max Raxx, I had the 4x4 version which sticks out a bit further but wasnt a problem.

New van doesnt have a towbar so I sold the raxx and now have a VW one. Id sooner have the maxx raxx one as its easier to load and easier to store.
Teh bonus of the vw one is it looks nicer and its like a shelf and can carry 60kg so I occasionally strap the awning onto it when its packed up wet.

As for tilting it down when its loaded, I did it once with only 2 bikes on and didnt find it very practical.
Would change my vw for one anyday if I had a towbar

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is heavy with the bikes on to tilt it but its much quicker than having to unload them. having had the maxxraxx for a couple of months now I would have a towbar installed on another vehicle just so I could use it, I have also found it does not affect the rear visibility like a fiamma rack but you have a good view of the top of the bikes so you can keep an eye on them, not that they seem to move at all.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Thread revival! Has anyone got some pics of a loaded up maxxraxx tilted down to allow tailgate to open?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts