VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fancy having a crack at fitting a towbar myself.

Any advice or guidance as to which is the best one?

Also, do I need any special wiring kits, plug in adapters, relays kits etc? It's for a 2001 2.5 102 LWB Transporter.

Another question... the bus is lowered using Eibachs, so is running 45mm lower - are any of the towbars adjustable in height as the ball will need to be at the correct level to keep my twin axle trailer level...

Thanks.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Dont bother ring around for a price at least you get a guarantee on the wiring normally three years plus if any problems with the tow bar you covered by the makers insurance
cost me £40 more than fitting it myself

·
Registered
78 Posts
I fitted mine it was pritty easy got a wiring diagram with the tow bar and wired caravan electrics too and mine is also pritty low i got a tow bar raiser plate to keep the caravan level i got my tow bar from towequipe on e-bay T:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Make sure you soak the bolts in some sort of penetrating spray for a few days before trying to get them off I snapped a ratchet and ended up going down a local garage to use their impact socket and they were off in seconds.

Once that was done dead easy to fit I also got a towequipe one.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about the wiring?

Is it just a case of splicing into one of the rear lamp looms?

What bar do people recommend?

·
Registered
154 Posts
The mechanicals of fitting the towbar are straightforward - three bolts each side into the framing members. Most of the suppliers have links to the manufacturers fitting instructions so you can see what you're dealing with before purchasing.

Electrics - I bought a specific wiring kit from VAG (about £40) which contained the loom, towing socket, replacement hazard switch incorporating relay and instructions. Best of all the loom plugged straight into the backplate of the rear lights - no cutting, splicing or messing around. Well worth the money in my opinion. The relay enables the dash tell-tale to function correctly.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Piece of cake to fit! Electrics in through the grommet behind fog light and connect to the D/S light cluster using female spade connectors as in link above! 2 hours topsT:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Take special note of Reply 7.

You might need a new Hazard flasher switch.

There is a requirement that when a trailer is attached that there is an auxiliary device to tell you that the trailer indicator is operating.

This can be visual, (an extra light in the dash, [which may be there already but currently inactive]), or an audible relay clicker thingy.

Get a kit, which just "piggy-backs" the existing wiring. Don't bother faffing about with Scotch-loks as they can fail in the harsh environment.

When you fit the tow-bar use high-tensile bolts and give them a good greasing. If you decide to remove the tow-bar at any time it makes it so much easier.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Take special note of Reply 7.

You might need a new Hazard flasher switch.

There is a requirement that when a trailer is attached that there is an auxiliary device to tell you that the trailer indicator is operating.

This can be visual, (an extra light in the dash, [which may be there already but currently inactive]), or an audible relay clicker thingy.

Get a kit, which just "piggy-backs" the existing wiring. Don't bother faffing about with Scotch-loks as they can fail in the harsh environment.

When you fit the tow-bar use high-tensile bolts and give them a good greasing. If you decide to remove the tow-bar at any time it makes it so much easier.
When did that come in? And when is it tested?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I got a tow bar with electrics if anyone wants?

Pm me.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys - is there a preferred manufacturer?

Thule?
Westaflia?
Witter?
Generic eBay?

I'm still concerned about the ball being too low and a few things I've read on the net strongly advise against fitting adapter plates as it puts excessive forces on the towbar that it wasn't designed for etc...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The MoT test assesses continuity on the 13 pin socket. The 7 pin socket is checked visually for condition.

Nearly sure it is a requirement for the audible/visual alert for trailer indicator.

Could be wrong though.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
The MoT test assesses continuity on the 13 pin socket. The 7 pin socket is checked visually for condition.

Nearly sure it is a requirement for the audible/visual alert for trailer indicator.

Could be wrong though.
just been on the AAs pages
Trailer/caravan electrical socket
There will be a basic security/damage check of 7-pin sockets,

13-pin sockets will be subject to a full electrical connectivity check and incorrectly connected or inoperative circuits will result in failure.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-servicing-repair/mot-changes-2012.html

does not look like anything to be concerned about for me.

·
Administrator
5,401 Posts
Sorry to jump on this, I have read a few threads stating that with some bars the rear bumper sags. Which ones are the ones to avoid so this doesn't happen

·
Registered
153 Posts
Electrics - I bought a specific wiring kit from VAG (about £40) which contained the loom, towing socket, replacement hazard switch incorporating relay and instructions. Best of all the loom plugged straight into the backplate of the rear lights - no cutting, splicing or messing around. Well worth the money in my opinion. The relay enables the dash tell-tale to function correctly.
Do you have a part number for the kit? Is this for a T4?

I'm wanting to fit a towbar to my T4, and don't want to mess about with the electrics.

2003 LWB Caravelle.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Do you have a part number for the kit? Is this for a T4?

I'm wanting to fit a towbar to my T4, and don't want to mess about with the electrics.

2003 LWB Caravelle.

Thanks

Steve
Got mine from towequipe. On ebay he is towbarman01.

Cost me less than VW and came with the new Hazard warning switch too T:

HTH

Goose

·
Registered
568 Posts
I fancy having a crack at fitting a towbar myself.

Any advice or guidance as to which is the best one?

Also, do I need any special wiring kits, plug in adapters, relays kits etc? It's for a 2001 2.5 102 LWB Transporter.

Another question... the bus is lowered using Eibachs, so is running 45mm lower - are any of the towbars adjustable in height as the ball will need to be at the correct level to keep my twin axle trailer level...

Thanks.
Jump onto the TOWSURE web site, you should get everything you need........T:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts