VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2008 T5, lowered 40mm with H&R springs.

It's got an after-market towbar fitted, which hangs down pretty low under the bumper, and this is causing grounding issues getting into our new (fairly steep) driveway.

Other than the obvious solution of un-lowering it, what options do I have - are there any towbars which fit tighter to the bumper, or are integrated with the bumper iron?

I'm looking at stuff like the westfailia bar, but it's a lot of money to spend if it's not going to solve the clearance issues.

Any experiences or advice would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Try a different tow bar. My van is at least 100mm lower than standard and I've had two problems with my tow bar but on;y when I had the van fully loaded and the bike rack on - scraped it slightly over a speed bump once and once on a very sharp down/up piece of road getting into a ferry terminal.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions, I did consider a detachable one, but they are expensive, and some of them look like they still have metalwork that projects down below the bumper.

Anyone got specific suggestions as to which brands to look at - I've seen the westfalia ones but not sure what other options are out there, or how their ground clearance compares.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Detachable would do the trick, they're not that expensive. Westfalia detachable on mine, lowered quite a bit on Bilsteins. Towbar itself doesn't hang down lower than bumper when detached and I'm sure I could be more creative with the electrical socket bracket to hid it further. Never had clearance issues.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
This sounds very dangerous to me, are you saying you were towing " trailer/caravan" :eek::eek: on the public roads, then you try to navigate your way onto a FERRY with the Tow Bar so close to the ground:eek::eek: that must have been fun :*

With your set up I'd consider removing the Tow Bar or raising the van, your the type of guy I like to overtake in a hurry.
What the hell would I want to tow a caravan for if I own a camper? Its for a bike rack.

Since you're constantly banging on about how your bog standard van sits happily at 90mph, you're right, you would be overtaking me in a hurry because I don't drive like a bell end.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Excuse me DaveyB

There are a number of us on the forum who have a caravan and a T5.

For me The caravan with a T5 (previously a T4) beats having a large motor home, and with the T5 converted you have the best of all worlds as you can always leave the van behind.

xlray

·
Registered
423 Posts
my westfalia detachable tow bar hangs down about 100mm lower than my bumper, I am on bilstiens down all the on the front and 3/4" left on the rears only ever hit my towbar once dropping off a kerb:eek: never on speed humps,car park ramps etc, but its hard to jugdge if we cant see your drive

at a guess my van is about as low as Ally

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Detachable would do the trick, they're not that expensive. Westfalia detachable on mine, lowered quite a bit on Bilsteins. Towbar itself doesn't hang down lower than bumper when detached and I'm sure I could be more creative with the electrical socket bracket to hid it further. Never had clearance issues.
Thanks for this, exactly what I was looking for, that should resolve my issues completely, I'll look into getting one! T:

·
Administrator
5,486 Posts
I'm down 100mm and the only time my toward has hit anything is reversing into a parking bay and it hitting the kerb also when walking past in the dark and catching it on my shin

·
Previously; Trikemania
351 Posts
"Pothole"
done that too, I:

bloomin good job
as I hit an upright post at the Hospital, missed the bendy bits altogether :(

·
Registered
127 Posts
You're in danger of repeating yourself Mike. Oh, you did I:

So I had a towbar on my 998cc BL Mini. For a bike rack. And your point is? :*

Handled way better with the bikes on T:T:

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
You're in danger of repeating yourself Mike. Oh, you did I:

So I had a towbar on my 998cc BL Mini. For a bike rack. And your point is? :*

Handled way better with the bikes on T:T:
Yes Huey, it's a great idea especially for a mini. I had a 998 mini when I was 17, 40 years ago LOL: my father stuck a mini cooper head on it, needless to say it blew the the engine :eek: my right foot didn't help.

Yes I was repeating myself, it's an on going jesting match between DaveyB and I, a bit of crac as we call it in Ireland.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts