VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After mucking about and making a nuisance of myself with trying to sort out the wiring for my towbar, I stumbled upon this eBay chappy who is selling plug and play wiring looms that connect directly to the rear light circuit, without cutting, soldering or swearing.

Though to myself, that may be a simple solution and after paying a very reasonable sum for it, fitted it in twenty minutes :)

I have no affiliation with this guy but the parts appear to be genuine VW and are dirt cheap compared to VAG, so if you are looking to wire your towbar simply get yourself one of these T:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Specific-Towbar-Wiring-Fits-Volkswagen-Transporter-T4_W0QQitemZ290327503082QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4398de20ea&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

J.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
You can get these for most vehicles - some are not without problems tho.

The renault trafic one makes the indicators flash fast for some reason. T4 ones are normally ok tho.

Be careful with the T5 because it has a lighting module and you cannot do it this way.

T:T:

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Zmok the T5 everyone says needs the smart box to do towbar :confused:

Ever done a T5 Caravelle ?

Do the wirening for towbars differ from the T5 Van ?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Zmok the T5 everyone says needs the smart box to do towbar :confused:

Ever done a T5 Caravelle ?

Do the wiring for towbars differ from the T5 Van ?
You will definitely need a smart box for a T5. - Caravelle is no different. Its easy enough all the wiring is under the headlining at the back.

T5 has a bulb check and also a lighting control module thus cannot work correctly just spliced into the original loom.

Somebody over on the T5 section has just wired his straight in and he says its fine. (bet he used a trailer rarely)

The people I used to fit these for had trailers permanently on and the module you fit has resettable fuses in it so you cant blow your module up.

Hope this is clear "ish"

feel free to pm me and I'll send you my number if you need to.

·
Registered
150 Posts
just done mine from the ebay guy.absolutely spot on. all connectors spot on. no fuss or bother.taking the dash facia and hazard switch out was a pig seeing as I had no idea how its fitted but once that was sussed the rest was totally straight forward. a T:highly reccomended wiring kit!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts