VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea in how much it'd cost to get a tow bar fitted to a t5? I really fancy getting a freedom microlite caravan as a way of getting some extra space. Just trying to weigh up the costs and implications..... Are some types of tow bars better than others? any tips or advice much appreciated.
Thanks x

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'd say fit it yourself. I know people often say this but I'm no good with cars and managed to do it! PF Jones sell them at a good price and give brilliant service. I've had Witter and Westfalia tow bars, Westfalia is what I have now and I prefer it especially as it's cheaper. I have removable one.

On the caravans not sure if you've looked at the Freedom in the flesh but to be honest I found the quality a bit low. Especially the foam backed wall lining which is glued to fibreglass sides... They're not made like a standard van. Given the tow vehicle for a similar price you could get a "proper" white box, Sprite, Bailey etc.

Or if like us you want a small van (limited storage) then Eribas are amazing quality.

·
Registered
236 Posts
hi tow bar prices are seasonal you are prob looking at £170 for a witter fixed flange mount fitted (you can buy them from pf jones for £85) an extra £100 for a removable i could sort you a price out if your van is not trimmed out inside the van cause if it is it means running a cable under the van to the battery for the bypass relay
chris

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
We fit Westfalia towbars & have them on our T5 & Caddy...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, Thanks guys.
chris, my van is fitted out inside, so cable would presumably have to go underneath as you say? Do you fit them?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hi, Thanks guys.
chris, my van is fitted out inside, so cable would presumably have to go underneath as you say? Do you fit them?
we had a fixed towbar fitted, the fitter came to our house and my brother had one two and we got charged £210 pounds each with twin electrics!!! I thought that was bl++dy cheap!, got quoted from local fitting centre £265 with single socket and over £400for westy removable.....everyone charges different so phone around but the mobile option worked for usT:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I got a detachable westfalia tow bar from pf jones for £170 with single electrics and got someone to fit it. They charged £100.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm having a westfalia removable fitted by my local garage on Friday. Bought it from P F Jones for £170. I'm expecting about 2-3 hours labour. Should be around the £100 mark. So all in about £270. I've been quoted £575!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm looking for one too so thanks for tip on PF jones. We need the 13pin kit but what else do we need to buy?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well it's been fitted and they did an excellent job at Elton Motors Littledean. Cost a little more than expected as they spent 4 hrs instead of 3. Mainly because they tidied up some shoddy wiring on the parking sensors whilst they had the bumper off. Unfortunately they uncovered some previous accident damage which means the bumper can't go on straight :(

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Does anyone know if it's the same price for a facelift T5? I think the electrics are different, some thing to do with canbus?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Ive been pricing up a flange bar and dedicated wiring loom £350 inc fitting. I dont want wiring spliced, maybe a bit OCD but I dont want trouble with wiring down the line

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi, Thanks guys.
hi kathy i dont fit that many now due to being busy fitting trackers it would need to go on a ramp to run the cable to the battery would be a struggle without one
chris

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oki doki, cheers anyway chris.
so, whats the deal with eletrics?what is double / single, what do you need them for etc? I'm new to all this, cheers
kathy x

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
is single used for the lights on caravan, and the second (double bit) for charging battery in caravan?
ta kathy x

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sorry for yet another question, but whats the difference between 7 pin eletrics and 13 pin? apart from the price!
thanks, kathy

·
Registered
236 Posts
the 13 pin is what new caravans use it just replaces the 2 x 7 pins you can get adapters to convert back to 7 pin for if you are towing a trailer or using a light board
chris

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
i have a 13 pin loom with parking sensor plugs from a factory fitted bar ,no good to me as i tow old stlye stuff hence removing it ,deach the classifieds :)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Does anyone know if it's the same price for a facelift T5? I think the electrics are different, some thing to do with canbus?
Yes mate. The dedicated wiring kit is the one to have. Made by Wesfalia, I found it cheaper to buy from VW dealer. It has vw stickers on the box but made by westfalia.

I paid about £150 for it, took 4 hours to fit though. The positives are it works with the canbus system therefore allowing your reverse sensors to disconnect automatically.
It also adjusts the esp to allow for a trailer on the back end, and it won't void your warranty if you have electrical problems.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts