VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Not really sure where best to post this?(any mods pls move if needed :) )

I’m looking for a towbar mounted bike carrier for 3 bikes
2 of the bikes are ebikes..weight is 24kg each - 48kg
1 of them is a regular mtb - 14kg

That’s 62kg total

Any recommendations?

I’m still yet to have the towbar fitted or fit one so if there’s anything better suited that doesn’t use the towbar ball and uses some kind of bolt on brackets I’m happy to consider that too.

I’ve got barn doors but not really fussed if I can open the doors or not once fitted , not bothered if it will tilt either just lookin for something strong and able to carry the 3 bikes

T:

·
Registered
447 Posts
As said take the batteries off that probably weight 3.5kg's each! Probably better for deterring thieves as well.

I think the Altera EVO is built for ebikes and can take 65kg's from memory. The nose weight of a T5 is 100kgs isn't it, so that's not your restriction.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,169 Posts
Hi,
Not really sure where best to post this?(any mods pls move if needed :) )

I’m looking for a towbar mounted bike carrier for 3 bikes
2 of the bikes are ebikes..weight is 24kg each - 48kg
1 of them is a regular mtb - 14kg

That’s 62kg total

Any recommendations?

I’m still yet to have the towbar fitted or fit one so if there’s anything better suited that doesn’t use the towbar ball and uses some kind of bolt on brackets I’m happy to consider that too.

I’ve got barn doors but not really fussed if I can open the doors or not once fitted , not bothered if it will tilt either just lookin for something strong and able to carry the 3 bikes

T:
You say you are not bothered if you can open the doors or not but as soon as you say that, there will be something you want to access or put away ;)
The Thule Easy Base can officially handle 45Kg but in reality can take a fair bit more I reckon. I have stood on mine and it didn't complain. This is the carrier - https://amzn.to/2YGbYlu. You can then get a bike carrier module to fit on it.
Not cheap at £190 but very well made (and I happen to have a spare one, brand new in the box, for sale at a good price :) )

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have an Atera Strada that takes 4x mountain bikes no problem, I can just about open the tailgate with the bikes on if I turn the bars on the nearest bike.

It's rated at 63kg (with the 4th bike adapter), I weighed the bikes individually and the total came out just below this. It came with extra straps but the seller is adamant they aren't required and I've never used them. We've been to Southern France and back twice with no issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts