VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right the guys been looking around for a few weks now for a towbar and its rili getting to me now:*. I keep looking on ebay and seeing them for around £100 but at the dealer there close to £400.
Has anyone used the whitter tow bars?and will the van need re-coding for the towbar?
The towbar is only for the motocross bikes/small trailer as my van is a kombi with seats.

All your thoughts would be appreciated.
thanksT:T:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Fitted a witter tow bar from Ebay to my T5 gp this afternoon. paid £84 for it. was very easy to fit and was on the van in less than an hour. It came with electrics also got a bypass relay from Ebay for £15 so van should not need re-coding but did not have time to sort the electrics but will post the result when i do. all being well it should be a fully working tow bar for under £100 and a couple of hours of my time. A:

P.s you dont get the tow ball with it so you have to get one of them too. so around £115 in total

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I've fitted a witter bar as well. Easy enough to do on the drive, prob took me about 2 hours. Have bought a bypass relay as well but not fitted it yet though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good news then I won't need to spend the £400.keep me updated and if you manage to get any pictures even better!thanks guysT:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
You can get a detachable one on ebay for £167 inc post. I have seen secondhand ones make more than that.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I fitted my own Towbar on my GP, all from PF Jones with a swan neck. I think it cost me £120 ish off the top of my head. Couple of hours to fit. I ran a feed from the battery at the front to the relay and linked into the rear lights.

For the amount I tow I couldn't justify the dealer cost and having it programmed.

Andy

·
Registered
768 Posts
I fitted my own Towbar on my GP, all from PF Jones with a swan neck. I think it cost me £120 ish off the top of my head. Couple of hours to fit. I ran a feed from the battery at the front to the relay and linked into the rear lights.

For the amount I tow I couldn't justify the dealer cost and having it programmed.

Andy
Did you follow instructions from the kit or is there somewhere online I can view these?

I didn't realise the relay needed power from the front.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The relay needs a 12v power supply to power the lights on whatever you're towing.
It only takes enough current from the van tail light wiring to give it a signal and uses the power from the main feed to light the lights.
Best thing to do is take a feed straight from the battery with an in line fuse and have the power relay just behind the near side rear light cluster. This is the best place to tap into the vans rear light wiring and easy to run the cable from tow hitch as there is a rubber gromit directly below to get the cable in/out.
I finished mine at the weekend and all is working fine and all for £110 and 2/3 hours work

·
Super Moderator
5,174 Posts
Which route did you run the cable from battery to relay?
Under the bus or flooring.
My mate has just fitted a witter tow bar and running the power from the internal light:eek:

It's only tempory he said;)

·
Registered
768 Posts
The relay needs a 12v power supply to power the lights on whatever you're towing.
It only takes enough current from the van tail light wiring to give it a signal and uses the power from the main feed to light the lights.
Best thing to do is take a feed straight from the battery with an in line fuse and have the power relay just behind the near side rear light cluster. This is the best place to tap into the vans rear light wiring and easy to run the cable from tow hitch as there is a rubber gromit directly below to get the cable in/out.
I finished mine at the weekend and all is working fine and all for £110 and 2/3 hours work
Can you confirm which tow bar and which relay you went for?

Any pictures/steps ? :)

Final question, can you do it all on the near side, or do you also need to get to the drivers side cluster (such as for the other indicator signal)?

·
Registered
232 Posts
i had a towbar fitted using the bypass relay system,this was on my t5.1gp and it worked 100% without fault and cost under £200 inc fitting...i could of had the specific vehicle wiring kit fitted and this was in total £325 all inc vat...so i suggest you just shop around...if you go for the specific wiring the vehicle will nedd recoding via the vag com system and good towbar fitters will have the computer to do this..

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a 5.1 with the genuine tow bar and electrics but when I use the indicators with the trailer connected there is no extra light on the dash or buzzer to let me know the trailer indicators are working correctly is this correct ? In my discovery3 there is light on the dash.

·
Banned
5,495 Posts
I have a 5.1 with the genuine tow bar and electrics but when I use the indicators with the trailer connected there is no extra light on the dash or buzzer to let me know the trailer indicators are working correctly is this correct ? In my discovery3 there is light on the dash.
There was even one on our newish but archaic Defender!

·
Registered
768 Posts
i had a towbar fitted using the bypass relay system,this was on my t5.1gp and it worked 100% without fault and cost under £200 inc fitting...i could of had the specific vehicle wiring kit fitted and this was in total £325 all inc vat...so i suggest you just shop around...if you go for the specific wiring the vehicle will nedd recoding via the vag com system and good towbar fitters will have the computer to do this..
Which fitter quoted those figures?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Which route did you run the cable from battery to relay?
Under the bus or flooring.
My mate has just fitted a witter tow bar and running the power from the internal light:eek:

It's only tempory he said;)
I did the same and took the power for the seven way relay from the interior light ,since changed it as ive run power from under the passenger seat where my second battery and invertor are fitted,ran cables up the b piller and along roof T:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts