VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just picked up my 2013 T5.

It has a Witter Towbar fitted to the rear that I do not particularly need or want.

Has anyone removed one from their van and if so, how difficult is it to remove?

What do I need to remove it in terms of replacement parts?

Does anyone want one?? lol

Many thanks.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
I removed one exactly like that (and replaced it after cleaning the rust off and spraying it). It's extremely easy - IIRC just 6 large bolts. On mine (a 2005 Kombi) I needed to remove the spare wheel carrier and shield to access them, but that's not hard. You ~might~ need to remove the bumper but mine had been trimmed slightly at the bottom, so I didn't have to.

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,164 Posts
Towbar removal is easy enough , once you have removed the rear bumper (this is the tricky bit, especially refitting. Easier with two people probably)

I can't see how you can either remove or fit the towbar with the bumper in place unless it has been signficantly trimmed (there is no need to trim the bumper for any clearance for a witter bar like the one fitted.

Once the bar is off, you need to refitted the originel metal bumper bar (this would have been removed)
This is a picture of the bar that needs to go back on ...

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
I can't see how you can either remove or fit the towbar with the bumper in place unless it has been signficantly trimmed
In our case, the bumper had only been trimmed a bit, which combined with the fact that towbar swivels downward a bit as it slides out, meant that it would clear the bumper. However, as you say, the internal bumper bar ~should~ be replaced - if the support bracket has been added then it will be supported OK but it will be much weaker than VW's design from the factory.

·
8,164 Posts
In our case, the bumper had only been trimmed a bit, which combined with the fact that towbar swivels downward a bit as it slides out, meant that it would clear the bumper. However, as you say, the internal bumper bar ~should~ be replaced - if the support bracket has been added then it will be supported OK but it will be much weaker than VW's design from the factory.
That does surprise me.
Did you have a witter bar or a different make? The Witter has long support arms that slide into box section and I just can't picture those being able to go in (or out) with the bumper in place :confused:

In the case of the OP wanting to remove his towbar, I would imagine he won't have the original VW bumper bar to refit, so a possible option could be to cut the towing flange off with a grinder and refit (although not ideal as the original VW bar is much wider (the towbar will end just where the VW brackets are each side)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Or swap the original bumper support bar with whoever has the tow bar off him..?

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
That does surprise me.
Did you have a witter bar or a different make? The Witter has long support arms that slide into box section and I just can't picture those being able to go in (or out) with the bumper in place :confused:
Hmmm... perhaps I'm remembering it wrong. It was exactly that type (visually) of Witter, and the bumper had less than half an inch trimmed off the bottom edge. Removing the bumper it's not a massive obstacle, though unfortunately a 2013 onward rear bumper is slightly more awkward to deal with than the earlier type...

·
8,164 Posts
Hmmm... perhaps I'm remembering it wrong. It was exactly that type (visually) of Witter, and the bumper had less than half an inch trimmed off the bottom edge. Removing the bumper it's not a massive obstacle, though unfortunately a 2013 onward rear bumper is slightly more awkward to deal with than the earlier type...
If it were possible to do the job without taking bumper off, that would be very handy of course T:
Thinking more about it, assuming this is the bumper we are all talking about ....

The support arms slid in maybe 12-18" or so, but from recollection, there is some slack top to bottom, so thinking about it, it could be slid in at an angle and then bolted up straight if clearance allowed? Maybe that is why your bumper was trimmed to saving removing it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts