VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just done this, hope it helps someone else as I'm pretty chuffed with it.

I didn't want to chop into my wiring loom to wire in the towbar wiring, as it's tight in there with the furniture fitted, and also I'm chicken! So I've managed to get the correct feeds from the following places.

White (earth) crimped on a ring and bolted it to the chassis earthing point by the rear right light cluster

Blue (fogs) I acquired a lighting loom from a scrapped van, and cut out the single brown plug from the loom which is the fog light plug. I unplugged the 2 halves and joined the wires back together with bullet connectors including an extra wire in one of the bullets to connect the blue wire to. I just unplugged the original fog light plug and plugged this one into both halves.

That's the hard bit done now, the rest went onto the rear right light cluster, see photo below.

Green (RH Indicator) Large spade connector onto the 2 pin vertical socket, bottom pin

Brown (RH Tail Light) Large spade connector onto the 2 pin vertical socket, top pin

Red (Brakes) Small spade connector onto the horizontal 2 pin socket, Right hand pin

Yellow (LH Indicator) Small spade connector onto the 3 pin horizontal socket, Left hand pin

Black (LH Tail Light) Small spade connector onto the 3 pin horizontal socket, Middle pin

Just need to make sure the pins are shielded from each other, either with shielded spades or by taping round the spade.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
If you pull out the fog light you will see a couple of nice big grommets that take the existing wiring in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Right ho, just fitted towbar from Towequipe and about to wire the electrics as above as it is easier than Towequipe's method with scotch locks.

However they haveprovided a audible relay various wires in it. What exactly does this do, do i need it and how do i wire it up as per the above dia.

anyone help pls??

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
The audible relay is a legal requirement. It beeps when you put the indicators on. No beep, the indicator on the trailer is not working. It connects between the back light and the trailer cable. Quite simple really, the green goes to the green in the trailer cable and the yellow to the yellow. The other wires are an earth and the two inputs from the vehicles indicators. Colours vary from make to make so I cannot tell you for sure which is which unless you tell me what colours you have.

·
Registered
83 Posts
the relay has - orange, yellow, blk, green, grey. So i should wire this to the end of the trailer lead then into the relevent pins at the back of the light???

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Ok the black will be earth and the orange is n/s ind input (from van) and grey is o/s. (generally. If it is wrong it will flash the wrong side so just swap them over).

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
with the fog light connection, some sockets have a fog light return on them, if you split the fog light supply and take it through the socket the fog lights on the van won't light up when a trailer is attached.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
just done mine,got rid of scotch locks.
may have cured the flashing glowplug light too.
had"implausible brake signal code" did some wire splicing on main engine loom,then this,so one of them has cured itA:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for posting John......I was really helpfull and saved me so much time and not a scotchlock in sight!!!T:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've just done this, hope it helps someone else as I'm pretty chuffed with it.

I didn't want to chop into my wiring loom to wire in the towbar wiring, as it's tight in there with the furniture fitted, and also I'm chicken! So I've managed to get the correct feeds from the following places.

White (earth) crimped on a ring and bolted it to the chassis earthing point by the rear right light cluster

Blue (fogs) I acquired a lighting loom from a scrapped van, and cut out the single brown plug from the loom which is the fog light plug. I unplugged the 2 halves and joined the wires back together with bullet connectors including an extra wire in one of the bullets to connect the blue wire to. I just unplugged the original fog light plug and plugged this one into both halves.

That's the hard bit done now, the rest went onto the rear right light cluster, see photo below.

Green (RH Indicator) Large spade connector onto the 2 pin vertical socket, bottom pin

Brown (RH Tail Light) Large spade connector onto the 2 pin vertical socket, top pin

Red (Brakes) Small spade connector onto the horizontal 2 pin socket, Right hand pin

Yellow (LH Indicator) Small spade connector onto the 3 pin horizontal socket, Left hand pin

Black (LH Tail Light) Small spade connector onto the 3 pin horizontal socket, Middle pin

Just need to make sure the pins are shielded from each other, either with shielded spades or by taping round the spade.

Top Tip, works a treat. Ta very much T:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
A quick update to include the connection of the audible relay and maybe a "bits needed" and this should be made a sticky.

It took me longer to find this thread than it did to do the wiring once I found it.

Brilliant post, thank you.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I used this yesterday, it took me longer to get the wire through the grommet than it did to wire it, especially with my new good quality wire stripers and crimp tool!

This should be a sticky so folks can find it quicker, I had to read quite a few posts before I found it again!

Thanks for saving me some potential headaches with the scotch locks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
OMG THATS BRILLIANT THANKS !!!!!
made that job a doddle, literally 30 mins bolted on and wired up!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers to the o.p.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts