VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Towbar Wiring

68K views 89 replies 57 participants last post by  Sulphurman 
#1 · (Edited)
I've just done this, hope it helps someone else as I'm pretty chuffed with it.

I didn't want to chop into my wiring loom to wire in the towbar wiring, as it's tight in there with the furniture fitted, and also I'm chicken! So I've managed to get the correct feeds from the following places.

White (earth) crimped on a ring and bolted it to the chassis earthing point by the rear right light cluster

Blue (fogs) I acquired a lighting loom from a scrapped van, and cut out the single brown plug from the loom which is the fog light plug. I unplugged the 2 halves and joined the wires back together with bullet connectors including an extra wire in one of the bullets to connect the blue wire to. I just unplugged the original fog light plug and plugged this one into both halves.

That's the hard bit done now, the rest went onto the rear right light cluster, see photo below.

Green (RH Indicator) Large spade connector onto the 2 pin vertical socket, bottom pin

Brown (RH Tail Light) Large spade connector onto the 2 pin vertical socket, top pin

Red (Brakes) Small spade connector onto the horizontal 2 pin socket, Right hand pin

Yellow (LH Indicator) Small spade connector onto the 3 pin horizontal socket, Left hand pin

Black (LH Tail Light) Small spade connector onto the 3 pin horizontal socket, Middle pin

Just need to make sure the pins are shielded from each other, either with shielded spades or by taping round the spade.

See less See more
#4 ·
Right ho, just fitted towbar from Towequipe and about to wire the electrics as above as it is easier than Towequipe's method with scotch locks.

However they haveprovided a audible relay various wires in it. What exactly does this do, do i need it and how do i wire it up as per the above dia.

anyone help pls??

#5 ·
The audible relay is a legal requirement. It beeps when you put the indicators on. No beep, the indicator on the trailer is not working. It connects between the back light and the trailer cable. Quite simple really, the green goes to the green in the trailer cable and the yellow to the yellow. The other wires are an earth and the two inputs from the vehicles indicators. Colours vary from make to make so I cannot tell you for sure which is which unless you tell me what colours you have.

#17 ·
I used this yesterday, it took me longer to get the wire through the grommet than it did to wire it, especially with my new good quality wire stripers and crimp tool!

This should be a sticky so folks can find it quicker, I had to read quite a few posts before I found it again!

Thanks for saving me some potential headaches with the scotch locks!

#22 ·
Another thumbs up from me. Massive thanks to JohnDave for saving me a whole bunch of probing with the multimeter.

Slight hiccup on the Caravelle, as the Horizontal 2-pin socket is in use (this is where the top brake loom plugs in) so I had to do a quick splice on this one lead.

Thanks again. :ILU:

#25 ·
When I followed the advise,my lights were all over the place.The wiring all looked good,spent a while scratching me head.
In the end I popped to a caravan place and bought a new hook up,think it cost 8 quid.Plumbed it in and presto-all was perfectT:
Pulled the old hook up apart and the wires had corroded in the sheath:*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.