VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Great little walk through - i followed and although not hooked up to trailer, amp meter was getting reading when tested so hopefully, all should work. I was a little confused as to what to do with the fog lights, but think i have cracked it... is it something like :-
disconnect - you then left with 2 halves.
do these then get connected to the blue and purple that are on the tow bar electrics...with a wire joining them...
I'm not towing a for a little while so no need to panic Mr Mannwearing!!

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,122 Posts
Just wanted to post a VERY BIG THANK YOU for this post, as it made the wiring much, much easier then I expected T: T:

I did actually end up using a scotchlock on the foglight wire purely as I got lazy after breezing through the other wires :D
Not got the trailer yet, so I made up a tester with a light bulb and ran through the various functions watching it light up (and the buzzer go off when it should) so eveything is ready to to :)

Thanks again T:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Another thanks for this thread, couldn't of completed this task without it! T:

Bit more awkward in a Caravelle with the rear blower and panel, and I really didn't want to remove all of this, but managed to sort in the end. Took a second attempt to get the RHT indicators working for some reason? :confused:

Funny that after a Google search, and some FB groups, it still all come back to the faithful Forum I:

Top job, cheers :cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Brilliant, all opinions seconded! One oddity with mine, the indicators are reversed. Maybe because I'm a Left hand drive French van?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I followed this last night after being sent the link on FB for Just T4's.

I used a Maypole buzzer relay, so had to amend slightly due to yellow and green wire connections, but it worked straight off the Bat!

Nice and straight forward and well done VW for putting the pins on the back... V Clever A:

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
Yes it does but it is best to connect the white earth wire to the earth stud just behind the light cluster.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Followed this excellent "how to" at the weekend which made the job so much easier.

Did have one "head scratch" moment though as I already had a red/black cable attached to the pin the red wire connects to. Took me a while to work out this was for the high level brake light, so just spliced the red from the towbar in with the red/black from the high level brake light and pushed the plug back into the correct location T:

Getting the driver side light cluster off was the most difficult bit of the whole job as the camper furniture definitely hampers access. I didn't put the nuts back on to hold the light cluster on but used wing nuts instead. I'm hoping I never blow a bulb in this cluster !!

As for the towbar, I got a Westfalia Swan Neck from PFJones and the fit was fantastic. All the holes lined up in both the chassis and for refitting the bumper, which I wasn't expecting.

A:A:

Frank

·
Registered
9 Posts
Followed this excellent "how to" at the weekend which made the job so much easier.

As for the towbar, I got a Westfalia Swan Neck from PFJones and the fit was fantastic. All the holes lined up in both the chassis and for refitting the bumper, which I wasn't expecting.

Frank

I also just bought a westfalia from pfjones, based on the instructions which show it is supplied with the foam holder for the towneck.
I fitted it and it went together well. Go to the last pages of the instructions and saw i was missing bits....
In the instruction manual all the extra items required from vw (like the bit of plastic and clips etc that go under the bumper) are clearly shown as being extra and the part numbers are provided for the customer to source..
The foam holder for the tow neck is shown on the 2nd page of the instructions as part of the supplied parts in the kit and they also dedicate instructions on how to fit it.... no where is it shown that this is an extra. You'd therefore expect to get it in the kit?
However they say its not included and has to be bought from vw seperately! Since i've raised this issue its noted that PFjones have changed the description on their website now...

Check the instructions for yourselves! --> Clicky

What a con.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I think con is a bit harsh. PF Jones are a good, reputable company. I know from experience that sometimes you can miss things when putting together adverts or instructions. It is especially difficult when converting instructions that are supplied by a manufacturer and intended for a different market. I am sure that they weren't trying to bend you over.

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,804 Posts
WOW....a "whole" 9 posts and you want to put a reputable company down?!?!!?

Maybe Chichester is in Cuckoo Land, where everything is perfect, and no-one makes a mistake!

Fitting a towbar is a "Mans Job"....at which point no "man" would even look at the instruction manual!!!!

If you need a "foam support".....see your doctor!

FFS, IT'S a TOWBAR.....how difficult can it be?!?!?!? :*:*:*Rasp:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, did my "Mans job" at the weekend.

Must say thanks for all the info posted about the electrics its been a big help.

Have ordered audible relay from PF jones now, as i didn't know electrics will be checked at MOT time, so hopefully won't get caught out.

Cheers Tony

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
so ive fitted my bar,just about to get into wiring the plug thanks to this thread,i dont seem to have an audible relay?do i need one,i think i know the answer already,just want a definitive answer,if so where do i buy one from?

41 - 60 of 89 Posts