VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
You can get one from Halfords or any motor factors. It is a legal requirement and an MOT fail if not fitted (or a warning light).

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
folks,ive put my towbar on and done the wiring thanks to this thread,but,theres always a but,since that for some reason my reversing lights come on when im in reverse,first,third and fifth,is it just a coincidence?
anyone know what would cause that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fantastic and simple way to wire up your towbar electrics......but when i add in my buzzer and indicate the all my indicators flash at the same time - left and right??

·
Registered
448 Posts
Glad I found this as my heart sank when I realised I don't have the tow prep in my van.:(

It got me thinking as to whether I'd be better biting the bullet and fitting the VW loom (plus VCDS coding) as it can then detect if a trailer is fitted and adjust ESP accordingly. But... do I want my van adjusting break bias just because I have a couple of kids bikes hanging out back? How would the van 'know' the difference between 30kg of bikes on a rack or 800kg caravan?

What I'm getting at is wether this diy method is actually safer than VW's IF you only intend to put a bike rack on the tow bar??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all, 1st post for me. I joined up as before I do anything else I wanted to say a huge thanks to the OP for posting this thread!

I fitted my PF Jones towbar the other day using these instructions and everything went brilliantly. I wired in the buzzer for the indicators as well as i think its a requirement? I took a couple of pics to show the wiring as I see others have asked about the buzzer. Please IGNORE the earths (white) going to a terminal on the back of the cluster - I thought I was being smart by doing this and thereby avoiding a further connection to an earth point (I have a Holdsworth and space is tight in the area) but it caused problems - dim sides when brakes applied and just general weirdness) despite my meter apparantly showing it as an earth terminal. I ended up going to the earth point on the chassis behind the light just like the OP did and it all worked perfectly. Good deal on the towbar kit too, at less than £80 for everything inc shipping. Well happy with that.

This is all on a 1994 T4 50k mile Holdsworth which I got a couple of weeks ago. Timing belt etc next!

Cheers all

Natan

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, forgot to add that for the fog I stripped back a section of the towbar wiring outer sheath where it routes near to the back of the foglight so I could cut and pull out the blue. I then spliced this into the live for the fog just behind its 2 pin connector. Sealed everything up nice and neat. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
95 Posts
still a bit unclear about the fog log wire .......

so do I splice in the remaining blue wire from the towbar wires.....into the grey and white wire that goes to the fog light?

thanks

61 - 80 of 89 Posts