VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm new on this forum so first of all, hello, nice to meet you all!

I am the owner of a T4 Syncro that right now does not really want to work. More on that in a separate thread. Long story short: It does not start, it's on a parking lot outside my workplace and I want to get it back to my garage. I found a thread about towing from 2010 but I kinda want your up to date expertise so I don't royally mess this up . I'm planing to have my friend tow me back to my garage with a towing line, all four wheels on the ground. Will that mess up anything? Option two is to call a flatbed tow truck but I'd prefer option one if it does no harm. Please help :)

/Erik

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,978 Posts
Not 100% sure, but normally it's only the automatic with a "slush box" that doesn't like being towed, as it relies on the torque converter to pump fluid around.
The Syncro is a mechanical system? (or is the transfer box fluid controlled?)

Also depends upon distance....a mile or two, or a hundred miles?

I've had my auto towed a mile, it's a PAIN....no power steering or brakes....great on Norwegian roads :eek:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Towing a syncro is 4 wheels or no wheels (on the ground) assuming there is nothing wrong with 4wd system and tyres are all the same size etc.

The big problem (as stated) will be no power steering / brake assist

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,978 Posts
Just tell the "guy in front" to take it STEADY, especially around corners.
The van, without PS and BRAKES is quite a challenge.

Mine was only for around 1km....but up a Norwegian hill road, (had to turn the van to point the other way too...LOL) was quite a challenge for my 60 year old body!
Arms trying to turn the wheel, then both of them pulling on it so I could press the brakes!! :eek:

Safety First....and the safety of the van is most important!!! LOL:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts