VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my caravelle has a gvw of 2700kg and a gtw of 4500kg. Am I correct in thinking that the trailer and payload cannot go over 1800kg (2700 + 1800) irrespective of the load in towing vehicle and also theres the plated weight of the trailer to consider(2700 + 2600 = 5300kg. =800kg over ! ) clear as mud or understandable?

·
Full of Cr*p....
7,978 Posts
GVW is the maximum allowable weight of your van, fully loaded.
GTW is the maximum weight of anything you can tow.

So, 4500 kg is the TOTAL of the trailer and whatever you load onto it.

Check your driving license though....as newer ones limit you to 3500 kg TOTAL
(Possibly same for insurance.)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
The GTW of your van is what it is .... the fact the trailer is plated to take more doesnt alter the GTW you can legally tow ... dont forget , its 700kg for a unbraked trailer ...

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
The gross train weight is the weight of the fully-loaded vehicle plus fully-loaded trailer and must not be exceeded T:T:

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys that's what I thaught ! Hoping there was a loop hole as such so I could collect a car, found out Earlier A frames are now classed as trailers when towing a car ! So that's another idea off the list !

·
Registered
431 Posts
GVW is now known as MAM or Maximum Allowable Mass.

Legally, you can tow a loaded trailer as long as the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the MAM of the towing vehicle.

However, most motoring organisations (e.g. the AA, RAC, Caravan Club, etc) recommend that you don't tow more than 85% of the MAM of the towing vehicle.

You also need to make sure that the nose weight of the loaded trailer doesn't exceed the towing vehicle's maximum allowed nose weight. AND you need to take the load rating of the towbar and hitch into account as well.

The regs for your licence are as follows -

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you can tow a GTW of 8,5 tonnes maximum

If you passed your car test AFTER 1 January 1997, you can only tow a trailer of up to 750kg MAM, or over 750kg as long as the GTW doesn't exceed 3,5 tonnes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts