VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
vans currently at garage waiting to have waterpump and crankseal changed.apart from the supplier not putting the cambelt/crankseal in the parts delivery ffs!,the waterpump is a recon service exchange unit?
garage arent too keen on fitting this,as my last pump has failed after18 months:(.they were expecting a new unit to be delivered?
anyone else had this happen?recon pumps being supplied?
garage dont want to use euro as the cheaper pumps dont last either:*
may have to ring vw in morning n pray theyve one in stock.
weeks hol and no transport........fkn triffic! and getting close to xmas:(

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not doing the job,garage is,they use tps regular:*so they buy the parts in from their supplier?

·
Registered
354 Posts
tps always have surcharges on old units(waterpumps) so im presuming that they are factory recon as the new ones come in a vag box,iv personally never had any probs with them though

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Ive currently got a TPS recon on my van. Its only been there about 2 months but so far so good. as mentioned there is a surcharge on the units so you get a bit of doller back for your old one as they will use that to make a recon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I work for a large motor factors based in the north and I wouldn't buy cheap or recon water pumps, which I must admit I've not heard of.
Why buy cheap, go into your local motor factors and buy Lockheed or first line or another good name and do a bit of bartering.
Only do the job once. Good luck

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well as Tps is a main dealer for vag parts there not gonna be supplying s£!t parts. A recon pump they only use the Ali housing the bearings and impeller are new. So no big drama. I would run one over a new after market toffee one. After market parts are the Bain of my life owning a garage.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all replies,ill put it to garage in morningT:
dont know where old pump was from,never had dealings with that garage before or since,no receipts either,so no come back there 18months later?
garage,same as me,dont want pump going again soon,as its in the worst place to get at:(
did have a tie rod end from them which failed after 6months,but was replaced on warranty

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
waterpump changed today.as leedavis said,it did come in a vag box,just my keen eyed mate noticed old bolt marks,and questioned whether recon?the old(18months!)waterpump had started leaking from a core plug in the casting:(

top righthand shows where its buried behind cambelts etc:eek:

many thanks to martin at lingley autos nr ikea warringtonA:A:A:
leaking crank seal n new cambelt fitted also.
seems to be a bit smoother on idle now?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts