VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my t5 (09 plate 150K 1.9) about 2 months ago and the tracking was out, the steering wheel was about 30 degrees to the right.

I took it about 2 weeks ago to Bush tyres to get the tracking sorted (and a free suspension and brake check) drove it home and it was perfect. Ive done maybe 100 miles since and even though the wheel is still straight the can has started pulling left again.

I was happy they did a good job, could my van be 'not straight' somewhere that is causing this issue? Is there anything I should check before I go back and pay again for the tracking to be done?

Thanks
George

·
140 DSG Shuttle SE full Camper
2,407 Posts
The steering wheel might just have been previously taken off & put back wrong, did they actually do anything to the tracking or just move the steering wheel round on the column? Tyre fitters have a vested interest in you wearing out your tyres quickly, I'd never have tracking checked at one, and anywhere that offers free this that or the other will usually find something wrong that you then have to pay to have sorted, allegedly.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Is your van lowered or standard there is a very detailed description of how the suspension geometry changes under load on here especially realates to lowered vans. Basically the more weight you put in the van the more the geo changes in a defined way, so if you take your van to have the tracking done and it's full of bricks then unless the place knows what they are doing when you take the bricks out the tracking will be wrong

·
Registered
428 Posts
So is it driving straight when the steering wheel is to the right again. And not pulling when in that position?
Yes take it back , you should have a before and after print out if they've adjusted anything .
Or you can move the track rod end a quarter of a turn on each side to the right , you have make sure you adjust them exactly the same .
Done it loads of times when the machine didn't get it right .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts