VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi I had one for a few years and it was great, Conway make a good tent, mine was a Conway Clasic bit of a pain to put up but well worth it. You can find a good range on the net.

Cheers The Sponge. :cool::cool:

·
T4 Custom trailer maker
1,916 Posts
we had a conway, it hinged to the side and only had two poles to clip up.
You could also add the awning if desired but with 2 double beds and floor area (hard floor using the lid) it was more than enough

They are identifiable by the large rack on the lid. usually cream and brown on small fat tyres

I looked at and tried loads of different desings and this one is by far the most paracticle and simple to use even with the awning

we paid £400 quite a few years back but as long as the canvas is good they still fetch good money

I wish I still had it now as was very simple to use and comfy

the ends of the beds hinged up to make a seat so if there are just 2 of you then one seat and one bed making comfy living .
We stayed in ours for 2 weeks several times and they are good.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We've got a Conway, Oxford I think, great bit of kit and easy to tow. Conway owners have a web site showing sizes layouts colours etc of all models past and present, I'll try and find the link for you
We bought ours off ebay, lots of people off load them at the end of summer (what summer) so you should soon have your pick, try to get one that comes with all the camping gear, freestanding cupboards, hook up, interior lights, bed pods etc, as these mount up if you have to buy them after, ones with a carrying rack command a premium.

Some of the French models dont always come with kitchens, so check that one is included. Most beds are covered foam on a plywood base, but some of the newer ones, Raclet I think have a sprung timber system which I'm told is far more comfy.

Remember trailers with brakes can be towed at 60 rather than 50, but they require a bit more maintenance
Have a good look at the underneath to make sure the structure is sound, if its painted or undersealed have a poke about to ensure they havent painted over rotten timber.
Check the condition of the cover also as these tend to be model specific, therefore expensive

The condition of the canvas is important, ours was advertised as being patched and treated and whilst not being very pretty has stood up well to some typical Welsh storms. there are companies that repair / change panels but if it needs this i'd leave it alone as its an expensive process.

The design of trailer tents hasnt changed much so I would pop along to a showroom see which layout suits you best and then search a similar one out on Ebay or free ads etc

If your new to it I would aim to buy something for £600 or less, if you like it you can always upgrade, if not sell it on without losing too much.

Good luck J

·
jabby fingered, worn nubbed, ginger ninja
12,080 Posts
We've got a conway that i inherited from my inlaws its 20 years old but still really good a 2week stay is no problem

·
Registered
502 Posts
We bought an '86 trailer a couple of years ago and it was great. We have just part Ex for 2003 pennine appolo (folding camper not trailer tent as they kept on telling me. Faster to pitch and the cooking unit is i the trailer when set up so we can pitch just the trailer and cook indoors within about 10 Min no pegs needed. Then if we are staying or the weather is bad like next week we can take our time to set up the awning. Earlier on this month we stayed in a different campsite each night and left most stuff in the van. This one is big enough to see when I'm reversing which is a help.

·
RIP
1,381 Posts
My mate had one nicked from outside his house, he hooked it to his car in his cul de sac the night before heading off on hols.... 6 am in the morning it was gone...

He has replaced it with another one.

Im impressed by just how spacious they can be. Halfway between caravan and a tent, his seems so long and can seat quite a few out of the rain.

His kids love it.

Just be aware they can be nicked, what my chum does even at motorway stops is put down the rear stabaliser legs, with padlocks, and when parked outside he clamps it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
would definitely recommend the conway, challenger or similar. We have had a few conways of different sizes before the t4 and definitely prefered the folding camper sort which have the kitchen in the trailer so you don't have to always bother with the awning, or can at least take it down the night before you have to leave a site. Ours had a lock to secure it onto the towbar, and then a ball lock that fitted in the tow hitch for when it was parked outside the house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts