VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to the forum, so be kind!

Can anyone recommend any good Transporter friendly garages in South Oxfordshire, central Berks (Reading area)or south west Bucks (High Wycombe area) that I can take my T5 to? I need a second opinion on a couple of mechanical issues I have.

Thanks for any help..

·
I have noticed I can't spell
6,177 Posts
Goto Maidenhead cordwalis I know its a main dealer but the service manger (I think that's his job title) is Dazboi on here and is an all round top sort who will look after you and your van.

Many vans on here have been there with positive results. T:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Dazboi, cheers for the interest

The issues I have noticed are:-

1) Exhaust fumes coming into cab when van is idling and not moving.
2) Considerable amount of sootting up of engine bay heat shielding on the left hand side.
3) A noticeable release of air pressure behind the engine and down to the left.
4) A high pressure hissing sound coming from same area as the pressure realise when the van has been run for 3-5mins.

Various people on here have said it could be either the exhaust manifold that is cracked/leaking or a inlet or outlet hose from the turbo.

The van is currently being looked at by the place I brought it off, so i am awaiting a full diagnosis.

Can you tell if the exhaust manifold has cracked what amount of work is needed to get it out to be fixed (re- welded) or replaced? The garage has said that it is a full engine out to get to the manifold, which i find hard to believe.

Cheers or any help.

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
1) Exhaust fumes coming into cab when van is idling and not moving. exhaust manifold gasket or manifold itself
2) Considerable amount of sootting up of engine bay heat shielding on the left hand side.-as above prob confirms manifold cracked.
3) A noticeable release of air pressure behind the engine and down to the left. i hink this could be turbo gasket (youd do it whilst changing manifold)
4) A high pressure hissing sound coming from same area as the pressure realise when the van has been run for 3-5mins.

if you need a second opinion do not hesitate to drop me a line

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
Hi Dazboi, cheers for the interest

The issues I have noticed are:-

1) Exhaust fumes coming into cab when van is idling and not moving.
2) Considerable amount of sootting up of engine bay heat shielding on the left hand side.
3) A noticeable release of air pressure behind the engine and down to the left.

Various people on here have said it could be either the exhaust manifold that is cracked/leaking or a inlet or outlet hose from the turbo.

The van is currently being looked at by the place I brought it off, so i am awaiting a full diagnosis.

Can you tell if the exhaust manifold has cracked what amount of work is needed to get it out to be fixed (re- welded) or replaced? The garage has said that it is a full engine out to get to the manifold, which i find hard to believe.

Cheers or any help.

im doing one tomorrow, if youre very unlucky one of the studs will snap off and you cant get to it, so then you take the engine out. 90% of the ones we do are done in situe, you can only really guess until youve got the manifold off due to the heatsheilding and position of the manifold.

i think that its probably a turbo gasket causing the air release but we do the turbo gaskets when we do the manifold. if you feel that way inclined you can pop here tomorrow and ill show you the one we've got coming off?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im doing one tomorrow, if youre very unlucky one of the studs will snap off and you cant get to it, so then you take the engine out. 90% of the ones we do are done in situe, you can only really guess until youve got the manifold off due to the heatsheilding and position of the manifold.

i think that its probably a turbo gasket causing the air release but we do the turbo gaskets when we do the manifold. if you feel that way inclined you can pop here tomorrow and ill show you the one we've got coming off?
Ok thanks Dazboi for or all your help/advise.

I am working near Banbury tomorrow so it is not going to be practical for me to get over you way but thanks anyway.

I will have to wait to see what the garage says with diagnoses, and then go from there. Do you know how much you/your garage charge to have a look at something like this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts