VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am hoping some one can help my van engine seized up so removed and sent to be rebuilt at a long established engine builders but on return I have refit it and the engine won’t start it fires a couple of times then nothing untill I disconnect the cam sensor then it keeps firing and smoking but won’t actually run it does run on easy start and I have checked the cam timing is right which it is both lobes on cam furthest from gear end looking up in a v and the mark on gear is just to say below face of cylinder head we have tried altering this but the mark is then too high I have a code p3008 I have replaced crank sensor with a new genuine one I noticed I only have 2.3 volts at crank sensor which I think must be my problem but have checked wiring to Ecu and also replaced Ecu as-well and still no further on any help much appreciated

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Sounds like a timing issue. Can you get it hooked up to VCDS or VAS5051?
P3008 is a bit of a vague code, but the above diagnostics will give a far more specific code and a load of text describing the fault eg- open or short to +, open or short to ground, implausible signal, mechanical failure, no correlation etc etc..
I'll take a punt at the 'cam sensor no correlation' fault, ie it doesn't agree with the crank sensor timing so shuts the engine down every time to protect it from destruction.
Disconnecting the cam sensor puts it in limp mode, but if the timing is out, it will either run badly, or not at all.
Festa on here will tell you all the info on correct timing.

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Festa on here will tell you all the info on correct timing.
I've just done my timing again today as I've fitted my new overhauled head after the valve guides were worn and the valve seats were re cut :). Can't see how the timing can be so far out unless the instructions weren't followed or it's a cheap timing tool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The timing is right as far as I can see done as the manual describes It is the lobes furthest away from the gearbox end of cam I want looking up in a v isn’t it ? And cam gear mark in line with rear lip on head the mark is slightly low but if I move the gear another tooth it’s then to high ? Both cam and crank sensor are new thanks for your reply’s

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
The timing is right as far as I can see done as the manual describes It is the lobes furthest away from the gearbox end of cam I want looking up in a v isn’t it ? And cam gear mark in line with rear lip on head the mark is slightly low but if I move the gear another tooth it’s then to high ? Both cam and crank sensor are new thanks for your reply’s
Have you adjusted the eccentric gear below the camshaft gear? The gear should be altered to bring the mark on the cam gear in line with the top of the head before doing the bacl lash and tightening of the cam bolt to the lower torque setting

·
Registered
961 Posts
You say it does run on easy start?

I am sure you will have but have you definitely bled the the fuel system, especially the tandem pump? Doesn’t matter how good the timing is without fuel. I know this is stating the obvious but.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I have tried adjusting the lower gear but can’t get it to lift high enough in my opinion it’s a couple of mm low from the head I have tried bleeding the fuel system out but when the cam sensor is plugged in it just fires a few seconds then stops it’s self firing and just cranks over as it knows the cam and crank don’t correspond correctly I was thinking I maby have an electrical fault with only having 2.3 volts going to the crank sensor I have got 4.9 going to my camshaft sensor Has a new battery on too so voltage shouldn’t be dropping any were also the starter motor isn’t that old either so engine spins over at a decent rate I will try get time to have another play with it tomorrow Thanks for your ideas guys much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Yes I have tried adjusting the lower gear but can’t get it to lift high enough in my opinion it’s a couple of mm low from the head I have tried bleeding the fuel system out but when the cam sensor is plugged in it just fires a few seconds then stops it’s self firing and just cranks over as it knows the cam and crank don’t correspond correctly I was thinking I maby have an electrical fault with only having 2.3 volts going to the crank sensor I have got 4.9 going to my camshaft sensor Has a new battery on too so voltage shouldn’t be dropping any were also the starter motor isn’t that old either so engine spins over at a decent rate I will try get time to have another play with it tomorrow Thanks for your ideas guys much appreciated
Your supposed to bring the mark on the eccentric gear to 12 noon and then put the camshaft gear in. It sounds like you have the gear a tooth out before you start and it's running out of adjustment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shall have another go tomorrow that’s what I did and is it correct your supposed to turn the counter gear eccentric shaft to the left When adjusting it as that’s what I did and it’s at some were between 9 and 10 now the mark on the eccentric shaft

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
I shall have another go tomorrow that’s what I did and is it correct your supposed to turn the counter gear eccentric shaft to the left When adjusting it as that’s what I did and it’s at some were between 9 and 10 now the mark on the eccentric shaft
yes...from 12 noon around to 9. Still sound like it's a tooth out, if it's a bit out it will run but not properly as it may lose power or it will bring up a cam/crank error on vcds

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi I am still no further on the timing is right now i am sure I am thinking I have a problem with crank sensor reading as no engine rpm on live data and only have 2.3 volts going down to sensor have fitted a new Crank sensor From TPS and no different has any one the ecu pin data to hand I have tested the wires from ecu to sensor and there fine so want to make sure ecu is getting correct feeds Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts