VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are then check the travel ;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-37204050

M2/A2 will be "a little busy" as will the "old" A2 (Watling Street) & the "old" A20 as locals use these routes instead.

Looks like Auto Renovations (or their insurers) will be getting a big bill.

Fortunatly, no serious injuries & the motorcyclist had quick reactions & knew how to fall off his machine.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It does seem odd that the lorry travelled down the motorway but that is the only bridge he hit. He got under the gantry just before it or was there another factor?

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you check the pictures you will see that the Low Loader was on the hard shoulder (& reports say that it was moving on the hard shoulder).

There is probably more clearance under the gantries.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
The foot bridge that was hit is mainly for cattle as the mway has split the farmers field in half, the bridge is also on a gradient. The lorry in all of the photos is from a recovery company in Kent so perhaps he was on the hard shoulder because of recovering the trailer.:* That bridge in the 30 years I've been down here had never shown a warning or any signage of height restrictions on that section that passes over the hard shoulder :(

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC there is (was) less clearance on the hard shoulder under that bridge.

You may be right there Chris about lack of warning signs - there are some warning of restricted clearance on the motorway off the M5 that sets off towards Wales & then loses interest.

One things for sure - the paperwork mountain will be high.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
I wonder what he has written on his claim form I: 2-3 mill should cover it ..

·
Registered
441 Posts
I remember many moons ago a similar thing happened on the A2 near Gravesend London bound, on a Saturday morning, when a crane knocked a bridge down onto the carriageway, it happened just after i went through on my way to work, if it happened on a weekday I would not like to think what could have happened. :(

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's fully open again now.

Good work by the Highways Agency & at least plod did not keep it closed for long "investigating".

Very fortunate that no one was hurt except the biker who I hope is recovering - it could have been so much worse.

·
Super Moderator
9,191 Posts
That piece of bridge was reported to be 170 tonne. It a good job it's now open as it does relieve the traffic through the back roads and lanes :) but the mway maybe closed again if they find the bit left hanging is moving or is becoming unstable:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts