VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After owning a caddy maxi (ex british gas) my girlfriend decided it just wasn't quite working out as well as planned.

So, she took the plunge and bought this beaut, it's a T5.1 trendline (I think that means body coloured bumpers).

It will be used as a daily drive, but bought mainly for weekends and transporting mountain bikes with the occasional weekend at the races. With this in mind, the build will not be your conventional camper layout.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, job one was remove the roof rack, once new roof bolts had been purchased to fill the holes.

Then half the bulkhead was removed, mostly because the doggy will sometimes travel in his box in the back.

Then we started getting busy.

Bulkhead came out completely, the frame still remains down the B pillars at present.

Took out the "builders" ply floor and cleaned what lay beneath. Then insulated with the silver bubble stuff and stuck down what I'll call bearing boards made of 9mm ply.

Then using the old floor as a template, cut a nice new one out of 12mm ply. And finally finished with lino.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Another quick update.

But first, in one of the earlier pics I'm making a few sparks. It was decided, perhaps a little too late, that the lower stretch of the bulkhead frame might interfere with swivel seat movement, so I got to it with tin snips and a disc cutter.

And now, we made some good progress today, only worked on the passenger side.
Firstly I investigated why the sliding door wouldn't open from the inside. I removed the handle and could see the rod that reaches down to the lock was twisted at the bottom, gave it a little tweak in the vise and boom! she now opens.

The existing ply panels are largely in good condition if a little dirty, so we are just cleaning them up a bit before carpeting.

A fair amount of sound deadening

Followed by insulating

And then carpeted panels were refitted

This will most likely be the last update for a few weeks, adulting and family commitments will be keeping us busy.

On the to-do list is;

Sound deadening, insulating and carpeting the drivers side.
Swivel seat base.
Split charge and leisure battery.
Planar heater.
Headlining and spot lights.
Build bed/storage.
And probably a bunch of other things I haven't thought of

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another update....

We managed to spend an afternoon tinkering and actually made some good progress.

Once I had repaired the cup holder that was stuck I could get on with the swivel base for the bench seat, not too many pics of the base unfortunately, I became quite engrossed and forgot to take photos.

Who knew there would be so many wires under a seat with no electronics?

While the seat was out I took the opportunity to route a power cable for the leisure battery, through a grommet in the bulkhead, inside the pass. side wheel arch, under the carpet where there is already a bunch of other wires, and now also the bench seat ones too, and then along behind the drivers seat and into the rear.

Then back to the seat. The kiravans kit came with basic instructions which said to remove the seat retaining studs and cut/grind off the very tip leaving only threads

I have access to a very handy little tool for cleaning the tip of a cut bolt and allows a nut to start fuss free, worked an absolute treat!

Once the seat was fitted, it wouldn't swivel all the way round, it turned out the drivers armrest was obstructing the movement

Abi said "well I don't use it anyway", so I removed it, it's just a case of flicking off cover and unscrewing the bolt, in classic VW style, a star drive was required.

While all of this was going on Abi was busy carpeting the remaining ply panels, sound deadening and insulating behind first.

I carpeted a couple of D rings and attached them to the ply panel on the pass. side. These are for some bungees which will retain our bikes when in transit.

So far so good we think, her and the dog seem to be fans anyway :D

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another update on work so far, a little belated, but much has been done.

Time to install the parking heater.
It's an Autoterm Planar.

Fuel tank lowered.
Fuel tank.jpg

Original pump removed and new pipe for heater fitted. Then unit reinstalled.

Flexible pipe follows the other fuel pipes untill it meets the cross member where I fitted the heater pump.

Then both pipe and wires routed across to where the heater unit is fitted.
Abi decided to go for the internal fitment option, this came with the correct bracket which required a, rather massive, hole to be cut, in our case, this is under the drivers seat.

Primed and treated with waxoil underseal 'n' rust inhibitor.

Then bracket and heater unit fitted and all pipes connected.

I used the full length of exhaust pipe as the fitting instructions advised routing it as far from the intake as possible.

It's not working at this point, the plan is to power it with the leisure battery when that's hooked up.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Next was to puzzle over where to locate the split charge relay among other things.

Feeling confident enough I got to putting together a kind of box, it will house the fuse box and split charge relay, hide the leisure battery and heater unit, and act as the foot of the pull out bed. It's face will have the heater vent, heater controls and charge sockets.

Then carpeted it.

Now installed behind the drivers seat.

The battery is under the far side and the wiring and fuses are under a small access flap.

The heater now works, as the pipe to the vent gets a quite warm I thought it best to insulate it to protect the electrics, the sliver bubble wrap style stuff is visible at the bottom there.

Also made and fitted a panel for the front of the seat and the intake vent for the heater.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another update....

With the box behind the drivers seat fitted it was time to start installing the bench/bed.

And then slats added

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was able to spend quite a bit of time on this, and the deadline was drawing near, the first mtb race of the year was looming.

The bench/bed finished. That box is where the dog travels when he's not riding shotgun, he also sleeps in there too, it was built to go in the caddy that preceded this van.

We have since fitted 2 bikes in (complete) up the passenger side, I'm pretty sure it would carry a 3rd with no problems. This was priority over using it as a camper.

Next was to make a start on the headlining. The original ones were damaged and had holes for the courtesy lights which we won't be using. I made some new ones out of HDF using the old ones as templates. These new ones are actually slightly wider just to hide some of the silver painted metalwork.

Abi wanted to do something a little different, and personal. She picked out some OS maps of coastal areas that we are fond of and like to visit.

These were then covered with sticky backed plastic for protection.

Whilst this was being done I was installing the electrics for the lights. Took a while to figure out how to do it, there are 6 LED downlights and a sidestep light. All of the LEDs illuminate via switch, then only one LED and the sidestep light come on with opening the doors and switch off on a timer or with ignition on, basically as the original courtesy lights did.

Here they are fitted

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So with the foam covered and the swinging table installed the project is pretty much finished....

..... and she loves it.

Unfortunately as I write this the whole country, and near enough the entire planet, is on lockdown due to the Covid 19 pandemic. Her first mountain bike race should have been 2 days ago, sadly it doesn't look like anyone will be racing for some time.

We both look forward to getting out and about, Abi especially.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts