VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought i'd share this with you guys, the van 2.5tdi lwb has had a problem for a while, when i brake i had a nasty vibration coming through the steering wheel. I jacked it up and had a look the other day had a bit of side to side play in what i thought was the wheel bearings. So i booked it in to my local garage (excellent mechanic) anyway phones me up yesterday telling me he thinks that its not the bearing, the play i can feel is just the powersteering rack and nothing to worry about, he says the both front wheels are slightly buckled and suspecting that the disc are aswell which where new 8 months ago. The wheel are 12 month old nova volari usually found on the big audis (A8's) or so i was told so should be able to take the weight, but obviously with the state of the roads and bloody speed bumps down our area the wheels have took a battering, they actually still look brand new but looks can be decieving.
So now going to have a look for some proper load rated wheels, i will find out more today once i get speak to him today, hes changing discs and swapping wheels front to back today and then trying it, hopfully it will be right.
Perhaps its a lwb issue as i can't believe that its just mine thats done this, i don't drive any harder than everybody else, i don't bump up curbs if i can help it, perhap i need to weigh the van as it is kitted out but i shouldn't need to do that.
May be just unlucky got some doggy wheels, but they where brand new from a reputable company recommended by somebody who uses the company all the time.
So i'm gutted need to get some wheels.
Has anybody else come across this?

Paul

·
Registered
372 Posts
a mate of mine had fancy wheels on his golf, (really low profile) and he had juddering when braking. turns out if you drive like a [email protected] (not you, my mate) and don't avoid the pot holes then it buckles the wheels. he was gutted as they cost him a few quid. I've got a LWB and have been considering alloys, but i'm not sure now as i do want to go down some ruff tracks when camping, so if you find out about proper sturdy alloy then post a link.

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a mate of mine had fancy wheels on his golf, (really low profile) and he had juddering when braking. turns out if you drive like a [email protected] (not you, my mate) and don't avoid the pot holes then it buckles the wheels. he was gutted as they cost him a few quid. I've got a LWB and have been considering alloys, but i'm not sure now as i do want to go down some ruff tracks when camping, so if you find out about proper sturdy alloy then post a link.
Yeah the mechanic did mention the fact of low profile tyres with not much give. If i find some suitable wheels i will post.
Cheers
Paul

·
Premium Member
8,089 Posts
What wheels did you have on there? and what size ratign of tyre did you have?

My cheaper audi replicas buckled on some pot holes so much that they lost the bead with the tyre and deflated, got some biigger tyres on there now and havent had any problems as yet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Low ratio tyres look real good but most forget how big a part the tyre plays in the suspension set up.
There is a reason that vans as standard have higher ratio side wallsI:

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What wheels did you have on there? and what size ratign of tyre did you have?

My cheaper audi replicas buckled on some pot holes so much that they lost the bead with the tyre and deflated, got some biigger tyres on there now and havent had any problems as yet.
Hi
18x8 wheels with 245 x 45 x18 100w tyres,went for the slightly bigger profile, the tyres are rated properly, i think it must be, as you said the cheaper replica alloys. Lesson learned i suppose.
Paul

·
T4 Custom trailer maker
1,916 Posts
Surely if these wheels are rated for A8s then a LWB T4 is no heavier ??
Would agree that low profile tyres offer less cushioning against the rim but you would need to hit one hard to buckle it.

You can get alloys straightened for about £30.

Alloy magic and OOOPS do it down south but you would need to check your area

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
theres a company from germany possbily schmidit that roduce high grade wheels, there expencive but from what i know there worth it.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Paul,

Had one of My Nuvolari RS6 Replica's bend on the inner rim,
Mind you I hit a Monster of a Pothole doing about 50mph.
Suprised the wheel was still in one piece TBH :eek:
Continued to run with the wheel a further 4000 miles as I did'nt spot the damage till I changed the front tyres.

Wheel was Load rated at 690Kgs
Tyres were 235/40R18 Rated at 690Kgs
Pot hole was Huge
I was well Blind :(

Have weighed the Van too

Fully Loaded & Fuelled for camping with me & Gert in 2210 kgs

I think with the State of the roads today it's "When" not "If" you bend a Wheel.

Higher Load Rating is bound to help tho T:

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
It's not just potholes you need to dodge - those speed humps in the middle of the road are causing havoc with inner rims...

·
Banned
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Surely if these wheels are rated for A8s then a LWB T4 is no heavier ??
Would agree that low profile tyres offer less cushioning against the rim but you would need to hit one hard to buckle it.

You can get alloys straightened for about £30.

Alloy magic and OOOPS do it down south but you would need to check your area
Hi Thanks
Sorry didn't reply last night, yaeh thats what i thought but can't be sure that they weren't replicas as they were about £500 for the set i wouldof expected quality but you never know nowadays.

Anyway update new front disc and pads fitted, wheels swopped to the back, as Dan says can't feel any difference when driving, steering wheel vibration completly gone under braking. But might need new steering rack next year for MOT, thats what the play was in the hubs. Ordered some load rate wheels from palm automotive. Happy days roll on Beaulieu.

So soon they will be a cheap set of fiarly new alloys for sale, when i swop the tyres over i will find out how bad they are and price them accordingly.

Cheers Paul

·
Registered
121 Posts
indeed certainly doesn't look the same.

I'm a function over form type of guy so my merc 15's will be staying for a while with big fat tyres!

·
Previously; Stoo
3,271 Posts
Fit 17s with a 55 profile and i cant see anyone going wrong personally.

Also i was in a tyre place the other day and a guy came in with an X5 which had a cracked alloy. Standard X5 factory alloy, yet still had a crack from a pothole.
Just goes to show that **** happens!

BTW, BMW want £700 quid for 1 wheel!!!!

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,368 Posts
Hi all,
New here, English but living in Norway.
Bought a 2003 T4 2.5Tdi for the "bargain" price of only £23,000 (believe me, cheap by Norwegian prices! ) with about 20k (miles) on it.

I drive to UK once/year to visit my mum.....

Now, to the point...anyone had dealings with this company/products ?

http://www.raceandroad.com/acatalog/17__T4_Alloy_Wheels.html#a922

These wheels are Van rated, as are the tyres they supply. Seems I can get a "good" set of wheels/tyres for less than a grand. Was looking at the 17" Autec E Black with 225/55 tyres (our roads don't have pot-holes...they have craters! )

Was thinking about swapping my winter tyres (legal requirement to have winter/summer tyres here) from the old steelies to the alloys and vice-versa (both 15")....driving to UK on the old set next year, get new ones delivered, fit and drive back on the new set....dumping the old ones (2 tyres are about due to change anyway).

Just wondered with all the "hoo-haa" if any comments.......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts