VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a triple seat fitted in the back of my swb T5 directly behind the front in the usual position.
Also had another set of brackets stuck in the rear position so we have 2 seating options.

Just tried to load the outlaws in the back and the fitted seatbelts don't fit round her dad.
He's not a massive fella, and her mums only just fits, stops get from leaning forward and she's 8 stone.

I can get in but can't move much or lean forward either.

Anyone else had this or has he fitted the wrong belts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I reckon he must have Mylo...
Said they'd come off a van he had in for conversion.
Anyone got a stock number for the 2nd row belts so I can confirm and present this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a triple bench seat fitted, when it was fitted I was advised that I had two different lengths of belt... two different item numbers the one will only just fit around my nine year old... I still have not got round to changing it, (add that to the list)....
Let me know if you find somewhere where you can get a normal length belt from...
Ta

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No probs Peteandmo. Going back to the fitter next week to have a look at.
Will update when I know more.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope they mixed them up. I also had a set of belts put at the rear so wherever the seat is I can carry passengers.
Then it'd be a straight swap to rectify.

Who would have the correct stock numbers for where? Main dealer?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fella just got back to me and says that the belts came from a Shuttle and are in the correct positions and I quote.
"They must be short belts if i want new ones he can source some..."

Fuming isnt the word. I have emailed him for clarification that I will have to pay for new ones that fit.

Anyone know the legal standpoint or key phrases I should wave angrily at him?

Company concerned will be named and shamed if this isn't rectified to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you need Part numbers from a Shuttle for 1st or 2nd row belts I have just removed mine yesterday and can measure the length too if you want.
PM Me and ill sort it out if it will help?.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Fella just got back to me and says that the belts came from a Shuttle and are in the correct positions and I quote.
"They must be short belts if i want new ones he can source some..."

Fuming isnt the word. I have emailed him for clarification that I will have to pay for new ones that fit.

Anyone know the legal standpoint or key phrases I should wave angrily at him?

Company concerned will be named and shamed if this isn't rectified to my satisfaction.
Take a picture of the top anchor of the front and rear belts.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fronts and rears are wrong way round. They are definitely shuttle belts but fronts are in the rear and rears are on the front.
Wickedvanz, I bow to your superior knowledge.

As an update they got back to me and said they weren't willing to sort this out and that I would have to find someone else to do it. I have a fully loaded email ready to send him after I've censored it, which it needs believe me.

The company in question said that they couldn't be swapped over as there wouldn't be enough room behind the panels for the front ones. I did wonder about the legitimacy of this but now having a genuine enthusiastsic VW Conversion company's advice I will get my torx and spline drive set out!

Pompeyproud- mine jams on occasion too. I find theres a little button on the belt that jams inside the mechanism and try and have it loose and in hand when folding. Other than that I can only tell you which local Van Conversion company wouldn't give you an ounce of help.

Whilst I'm on that subject of naming and shaming, and I don't wish to upset the Mods but if anybody in the Hampshire area wishes to know which company fitted my seats (and in my own personal opinion):- didn't try or inspect their install, have absolutely no attention to detail, left me with bare metal after tearing my self fitted carpeting, fitted a faulty rear seatbelt, fitted the belts the wrong way round and then when pointed out to them refused to rectify or even look at the problem then please PM me and I will be more than happy to provide you with the trading name of this absolute cowboy not to mention his rude, obnoxious and possible the least interested in VW's mechanic you will ever have the displeasure to deal with.
Now I've got to stop there as I'm getting all angry again.I:

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Wickedvanz, I bow to your superior knowledge.

As an update they got back to me and said they weren't willing to sort this out and that I would have to find someone else to do it. I have a fully loaded email ready to send him after I've censored it, which it needs believe me.

The company in question said that they couldn't be swapped over as there wouldn't be enough room behind the panels for the front ones. I did wonder about the legitimacy of this but now having a genuine enthusiastsic VW Conversion company's advice I will get my torx and spline drive set out!

Pompeyproud- mine jams on occasion too. I find theres a little button on the belt that jams inside the mechanism and try and have it loose and in hand when folding. Other than that I can only tell you which local Van Conversion company wouldn't give you an ounce of help.

Whilst I'm on that subject of naming and shaming, and I don't wish to upset the Mods but if anybody in the Hampshire area wishes to know which company fitted my seats (and in my own personal opinion):- didn't try or inspect their install, have absolutely no attention to detail, left me with bare metal after tearing my self fitted carpeting, fitted a faulty rear seatbelt, fitted the belts the wrong way round and then when pointed out to them refused to rectify or even look at the problem then please PM me and I will be more than happy to provide you with the trading name of this absolute cowboy not to mention his rude, obnoxious and possible the least interested in VW's mechanic you will ever have the displeasure to deal with.
Now I've got to stop there as I'm getting all angry again.I:
Not a problem , happy to help, but any converter should know this if they deal with t5s on a regular basis. What worries me is if they didn't know this how could they do the rest of the work to an acceptable standard....

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Think we need a better picture of the inside of the van, it looks to me as if the seat is in an unusual position (to far back?).
the first row seat belt looks the same as mine & i have no roblems with it fitting my passengers, can comment on the third row as i dont have these.....

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Allo Topliss,

I had 2 sets of floor mounts installed. One in the rear caravelle placing and the other in where the single and double would go.
Both sets of brackets are mounted in the locations indented on the floor of the van.
The picture shows the seat in the rear most position, which gives me a lounge type area in front of the seats to get changed in at the beach.
Wickedvanz, I too am a bit concerned by their apparent lack of knowledge or in fact intesest to actually look at the problem.

I shall be taking the van into a suitable reputable local conversion company to have a look at the rest of their work.

Any recommends in the Portsmouth area?

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Think we need a better picture of the inside of the van, it looks to me as if the seat is in an unusual position (to far back?).
the first row seat belt looks the same as mine & i have no roblems with it fitting my passengers, can comment on the third row as i dont have these.....
Its easy to recognise front row shuttle belts as they dont have the light grey covers at the top they have black half moon shape plastics that fit behind the c pillar trims. Whereas the rear belts do have the light grey cover caps and are shorter webbing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers again Wickedvanz.

More ammo which I shall throw at him when he next chooses to converse with me.
Though I'm pretty sure that I don't want him or his grumpy non VW lovin mechanic touching my van ever again.

Sadly a conversion company in it purely for the money and not the love.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Stevey I hope the info I sent you helped as my interior was just taken out by me so I know what went where as does Wickedvanz. They sound like plonkers to me!!!!
Speak to trading standards as this can be dangerous and also check that they have fitted te strengthening brackets underneath the van as this is the most important part of fitting seats to a non seated van. Wickedvanz I'm sure will back me up on that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts